Have you ever heard of a "baby safety" product that you thought was ridiculous? What did you think was the *most* ridiculous?

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 10:55 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It's more of a baby comfort thing than safety - a wipe warmer is a totally stupid waste of money , IMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• toilet lock. People need to watch their kids so they're not drowning in the toilet!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I have used my wipe warmer for 3 years :) BEST thing ever lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:58 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• there are a lot of worthless baby products out there. the toilet locks remind me of that movie baby momma when she pees in the sink. lol
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• LOL @ the toilet lock! I was going to say that too. The fridge lock and the oven lock are pretty dumb too. Do people really buy those?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• A mobile for the crib.
    My 3 daughters and granddaughter never looked at them (I had them as baby shower gifts) and they can only stay on for as long as the baby doesn't begin to sit up. With these new cribs that change into toddler beds and then beds, they only have one good side to put the mobile on, which is usually the side you need access to and the darn thing goes down and hits the mattress when you lower the side rail.
    Total waste of money, in my opinion.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:13 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Anon:06 - "LOL @ the toilet lock! I was going to say that too. The fridge lock and the oven lock are pretty dumb too. Do people really buy those?"

I bought an oven lock!  It turned out to be a waste because it broke the first time the kids pulled on it.  We ended up having to duct tape the drawer under the oven closed.  I'm now thinking I need a fridge lock, but I think I'll make my own rather than buy one specifically geared towards babies.  I don't need it to keep the kids safe, but really just to limit access to the grapes!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• toilet locks.. and I have to agree though the wipe and bottle warmers are silly to me.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Oh darn, there I go reading the question wrong again...sorry...
    Okay, I baby safety product. Hmmm....I never bought any except for outlet plugs (awesome to have) and baby gates (also awesome to have).
    I have always had my children and granddaughter in the same room with me and stopped them from getting into things they weren't supposed to.
    I'm in my 40's and a bit old-fashioned, I guess. I believe in watching your babies instead of having gadgets and things do the watching for you.
    Gates are a lifesaver, though, if you need to keep them in the room with you while you do a chore or something. Just be smart and make sure they are kept busy with a toy and that there aren't any dangerous items left out to lure them into wanting to play with them.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:17 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• OK, I heard about this thing that is like a helmet for when the baby is trying to learn to walk. Now I understand that some babies really try a little too early, when their coordination doesn't even allow crawling, but it kind of upsets me to hear about babies cracking their heads on endtables and coffee tables. I just moved all of that stuff while mine learned how to walk. And I would think that if someone didn't want to move them, they could just baby proof it all by putting those gummy guards on the edges and legs...
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 15, 2010