would like tips for keeping curls...curly!

I have naturally straight hair. Yesterday I bought some foam rollers and kept them on overnight. OMG my hair looked stunning this morning! prior to the rollers i put some mousse on my damp hair. this morning once they were off I used hair spray. my hair still has a lot of volume but the curls are gone. they only lasted a couple of hours. If I go out I certainly want them to last longer! FYI: I used garnier fructis curl mousse and garnier fructis anti-humidity volume spray (I live in south georgia so I thought this would be a good choice). I didnt use a whole lot of mousse...could that have something to do with it?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 11:10 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Products will weigh curls down, so the mousse could have killed them somewhat. I would try not using the mousse and just take the curlers out in the AM, shake and spray with a light hair spray. Plus, humidity will automatically kill curls too. My hair has curl but I typically blow it dry straight and lately the humidity is making my hair look kinda coarse and my hair isn't damaged or color treated. I hate it!! I should try my foam curlers to give me some wave too!
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 11:15 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• well the mousse is "for curls"...so i guess I should try either or....not both mousse AND spray! thanks!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:17 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• yor hair will not hold any style untill it is completely dry. try it this way:

1) wash your hair with a volumizing shampoo. skip the conditioner. (it weighs down hair)

2) distribute mousse evenly through wet hair.

3) flip your head upside down and blow dry your hair with a difuser, being careful not to straighten your hair as you go.

4) roll hair in 1 inch sections, spray when finished.

5) in the morning, re-spray hair and apply heat on low until spray is completely dry.

6) remove curlers and resist the urge to play with them!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• too much moose can ruin your curls too, so be careful. Use a curl enhancing shampo & conditioner too. I have wavy hair, but when i use moose, or use curlers...my hair will stay wicked curly for a while with the right product. But, if your hair is wicked straight, it just might not hold a curl that well. Certain types of hair don't do well with curls. Is your hair thick, like an asian woman? Or is it thin & striaght?

Also, play with products. They're all very different & some work wonders while others, not so good....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:33 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• yes, don't touch your hair! No matter how clean your hands are, they have oil on them & the oil from your hands will do nothing but make your curls frizzy & weight them down. The less you touch your hair the better.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:34 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• my hair is naturally thick and straight. I didnt touch them that much...I fluffed them up upside down w/ my hands and sprayed...to add to the volume.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:39 AM on Jun. 15, 2010