how do i prepare to older kids for the arrival of their lil brother

just wondering what all i can do to prepare a 4 and 5 year old

lilmomm0f3

Asked by lilmomm0f3 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Just talk about it matter-of-factly. "We are going to have a new baby." "When your little baby brother or sister gets here." "You are going to be a big brother or a big sister." If you don't make a big deal out of it, they won't either.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:24 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I agree with the first post, I have a 10yo 6yo and 4 yo. And I am 1 day away from being 38 weeks. They are very excited about it. They are having fun helping me get everything ready for the new baby. Helping fold and put away all the little clothes. The 2 younger ones are amazed that the new baby is going to be that small. Just keep them very involved in the whole process.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:29 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Get some books from the library about being an older sibling. I think almost every book or cartoon character out there has had a new baby as a subject. Dora has little twin siblings, Frances (of bedtime for frances) has a little sister, the Berestain Bears have a new baby book. There's a book by Maxie Chambliss and Joanna Cole called I'm a Big Sister that my dd loved, and there's also an I'm a Big Brother version. We had an old Mister Rodgers book about having a new baby too. They deal with how sometimes older sibs feel jealous and how they can help out, etc and the olders kids can really realte to the stories.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Well i keep my kids involved and updated. i'm only 17wks my daughter is 9 my son is 6. When i found out i was like guess what? WE are having a baby. then i asked them questions about what they thought it would b like. i get weekly e-mails that told me what is developing and i keep them updated. today they are coming with me to hear the heartbeat and once we know the sex i will let them help pick things out for him or her. and i check names with them and tell them to give me ideas.
    PrettyP.

Answer by PrettyP. at 3:36 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• The hospital had a sibling tour which we took our 7 year old to. They showed a video and addressed some general questions about things changing. They taught the kids how to swaddle, hold and infant, and change a diaper, very cute. On a very practical note, they also taught the kids what toys would and would not be appropriate for an infant. Thenm they took them on a tour of the hospital and gave them hair nets and face masks. My DH and I also had him help us with registering (My first, DH's second kid) and he had a blast with scanning items.
    LittleD96

Answer by LittleD96 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 15, 2010