To foreigners, do you think that Americans have an accent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Well....Americans have an accent,too, many different accents actually. Southerners are hard to understand. Drawls and leaving off the ends of words,etc. I love the Boston accent.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Of course! I am actually an American, and I think other Americans have accents, lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• American's have different accents, even in the same states
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 11:39 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• My mom is Argentine with a thick accent. She said that some accents are more profound to her than others. When she comes to visit me here in GA, she totally trips out with the southern accents, she LOVES the accents here. But, she has lived in Boston so long, that she does not notice a Boston accent too much. But yeah, she does think that Americans have accents, ESPECIALLY when they try to speak spanish, she can really tell their american accent then.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:41 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Everyone has an accent. If we didn't, we'd sound monotone. On top of that there are several accents just in the US. Chicago, New York, Boston, New Jersey, and Mid-west are all different accents found in the US and there are several more.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 11:42 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Yes they do depending on where they are from.

Answer by older at 11:43 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• i'm from arkansas, where there are some pretty hick accents. i didnt think my drawl was that bad til i moved to colorado. people have a hard time understanding me up here. and sometimes i'm not really sure what they are saying.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Of course! And honestly, the only people you aren't going to think have an accent, or who isn't going to think you have one, are going to be the people from your particular part of the country.

Every region of the US has their own accents and even their own words for things. For example, in parts of the South, when you order a coke, it's do you want a "coke coke", a "Dr Pepper coke" or what, in the midwest, it's a pop - whether Pepsi, Sprite, or whatever, in the West, you order a Soda, in New England, I had a friend who called it a tonic, some call it a soda pop, so....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I am from the south and we moved up north, big difference in accents to me. I have a cousin who is from Australia and she was shopping and the cashier said "Wow, you have a thick accent!". My cousin laughed and said "So do you!".
    Anonymous