What do you think about this?

MORRISTOWN, N.J. -- Authorities say a New Jersey woman left her 12-year-old daughter home alone for six days so she could fly to Idaho to get married.

Sarah Haines is charged with second-degree child endangerment.

The 31-year-old Mount Olive resident's attorney says Haines thought a friend would take care of the girl. Thomas Fischer says there was a misunderstanding of what the friend's role was.

Authorities say Haines texted the friend on June 3 asking her to periodically check on the girl. The friend checked on June 5, 7 and 8.

Officials say the girl told them Haines left her $10 and "plenty of food and drinks."

State child welfare officials had police check on the girl when they learned of the situation on June 9

OK I don't think I could EVER leave a 12 year old home alone for 6 days. The mom says she "thought" a friend would take care of the girl. Would you NOT have worked out those details ahead??

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 11:35 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Ugh! Terrible! What would've happened if the child caught the home on fire, slipped in the tub, or any other number of tragedies had occurred?? What if the kid invited boys over and got pregnant? So many terrible things can happen to a young child left unattended. I'm glad she's okay. It seems obvious from this situation that the 'mother' is not responsible enough to make sound decisions regarding her child and needs an intervention.

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:44 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:35 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• WTH!!!???? she went to get married????why the hell didn't she take her with her?!?!??!? well this really doesn't suprise me, i guess people really are getting more stupid!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• This is clearly neglect and she should be charged.

Answer by older at 11:42 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Wow, and I was worried about leaving my 12 yr old alone for a couple of hours. Six days, no WAY!!!!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:49 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• That woman is crminally stupid and irresponsible. The poor little girl must have felt so abandoned. It was abusive .....horrible.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I wonder why CPS was called, if something had happened. I think 6 days is too long for a 12 year old to be left alone for sure. The mom should have made arrangements with the friend to check on her at least several times each day.
    I guess I'm torn between if its wrong or right though. When I was 12 my parents would leave Friday nights to go to our campground and leave me to babysit my 5 year old sister and my 3 year old twin brothers. But never longer than that though. Yeah, a whole lot of things could have happend but I was pretty mature at that age and knew what to do in case of an emergency plus the neighbors all knew we were there, if anything were to happen, I could go to them or call a family member that didnt live too far away.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:53 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I was left home alone for two days at 10 with my 6 year old sister and we were fine. I believe this is extreme, but so are our reactions.
    Anonymous

• What. an. idiot.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• my mom did this all the time when i was 12 and my brother was 10. She would leaves us alone home alone sometimes with no food and take off for days at a time and te state never did anything about it. They said since I was 12 I was old enough to stay home alone and watch my brother for days. (I lived in Utah at he time)
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2010