"Its in God's hands now"

I have a FB friend who is 40 and just found out she's pregnant. She has 2 daughters,aged 18+19,and a 12 yr old son with autism.She was not trying to get pregnant,but figured she couldn't anymore since she hadn't for 12 yrs. What I'd like to know is,why do folks figure it was God's plan for you to have more kids if you weren't using birth control? Like in her case with her plate being full with a special needs kid,and the chance of another child being born with autism or possibly Downs,wouldn't you take the decision out of God's hands and use BC?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• "Leaving it up to God" is lazy. A baby is made by the parents...the sperm and egg unite. It is simple and uncomplicated. We need to rely on ourselves and stop using God as a reason or an excuse or a crutch.God gave us the brains to help ourselves.
    Anonymous

• I thin people saying"in God's hands" is a way to not be accountable in some cases. or it gives them a reason to be positive. its ounds like you are worried for her, but dont be, be her friend. offer to help...her bc choices are hers... she will be busy tho lol....
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:52 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Is autism really proven genetic now??

My daughter (who is perfectly healthy/fine) was supposed to be born w/ downs syndrome. Since I was only 25, it was assumed I'd have a late term medical abortion. Um, no. Some people just love kids and are happy to raise whatever God sends their way
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:53 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I don't believe in god.  I take full control of all my own decisions.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:56 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• autism is NOT PROVEN to be genetic or environmental. they have no idea what causes it but the likely hood of having one child with autism only raises your chances by 20 % if the child is a boy. Boys are effected more than girls at a rate of 70%. Downs and Autism are NOT related.
    Anonymous

• Personally I prefer any decisions to be made with GOD! I would be much more worried if I HAD TOLD GOD TO KEEP HIS HANDS OFF. Yikes.. scary!
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• OP- I didn't say Downs and autism were related. I was referring to Downs because of her age. I KNOW autism,my son has it. I know a family that had 4 sequential kids with autism,so I believe it IS genetic.
    Anonymous

•  I would be much more worried if I HAD TOLD GOD TO KEEP HIS HANDS OFF. Yikes.. scary!   Why?

Do you lack confidence in your own abilities and judgement?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I am 42 years old. I had my tubes tied in 1991 when my 4th son was born so I never used bc. I have 4 sons who are 23, 22, 19 and 18 and we just found out (3 weeks before my younger 2 graduated from high school) that we are expecting baby #5 in Jan.. This baby is due 2 weeks after son #2 turns 23 and my sons will be 24, 23, 20 and 19 when he/she arrives. We weren't trying, I have NEVER gotten pregnant in 18 1/2 years but here I am 42 and pregnant. Hubby and I will be married for 25 years in Oct. and in March and april we will turn 44 and 45. It IS in God's Hands. What else can we say? Apparently He decided this was what our next step in life was. We ceretainly won't kill this little miracle or give this little miracle away. Btw,hubby (who is perfectly normal) was born when HIS parents were 45 and 50 and had been married for 25 years. His brothers were 20 and 10. So, I am not worried about anything being wrong with this baby.
    Anonymous

• OOPS, apparently I don't feel my age. LOL I am 43 and I will be 44 in March and my husband will be 45 in April. Honestly, unless I do the Math I don't think about my age. It's JUST a number. I don't feel 43 or well, 40-anything. I have a ton of energy annd look younger than I am. I have a 4yo grandson and people always presume that he is my son. So, having 4 grown children and a new baby will be just a little stepping stone for us. I plan to live to at lrast 85 unless illness or an accident gets me but those things can happen to people in their 20's and 30's and often do and they leave small children behind with no parents or no mom or no dad. I can't believe I cut a year off my age. sorry about that.
    Anonymous