black spots on scalp

my 5 y/o is very blond and very fair, so his scalp shows up easily. He has easily 100-150 black dots on his scalp, all over his hairline but weirdly non lower, like ears/neck area. ... It looks ***EXACTLY*** like a bucket of sand was dumped on him, which his sister has done before. They're totally round and each spot is the perfect size of a grain of sand. I assumed that's what it is and shampooed him 5+ times til he got mad at me. And none were gone. It's 100% not lice or nits. I tried to remove a few w/ a tweezers and they're not going anywhere. He has eczema and that's my next best guess, but the color is really wrong (black) any thoughts???? Google kept suggesting ringworm, but it looks nothing like that

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Take him to the pedi or a dermatologist. There's a very rare form of ringworm of the scalp that causes the occurrence of tiny black spots which are sometimes spread over the entire surface of the scalp like you described. The infection causes no inflammation or redness, and it rarely involves deterioration of the hair or scarring. It is easily treatable w/specific antifungal treatments and will take a few weeks to heal. It is also contagious, so you should keep your son away from anyone else until you confirm the diagnosis.
    Anonymous