getting my 19 month old to sleep

I have a 19 month old who will fall asleep in his crib. He will wake up in the late evening and want to be held all night long. For the past several months I have slept in a chair with him. When i put him back in his crib he either immediatly wakes up and starts crying or will sleep for an hour and a half and then wake up and want held again. I know i created this problem and i need to fix it. I have attempted to have him sleep in bed with me (i am all for co sleeping) but he wants nothing to do with it. I am NOT one to just let my child cry it out. Any ideas to get him to sleep in my bed or to stay in his crib?

smiley1979

Asked by smiley1979 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is close to two years old now ..... Its not really "crying it out" anymore, its teaching him proper sleep habits. Its fine if he cries, but you gotta be tough! Just watch a few episodes of Super Nanny, shes got the right idea about sleeping.

Im also wondering if he naps during the day, or if he is napping in the late afternoon/early evening and then not sleepy enough at night. He should probably be UP from his nap around 3:00 to be ready for bed on time......Schedules are hard to get set, but lifesavers with some kids! Good luck Momma!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Well he obviously likes sleeping with you in the chair, so I wonder why he wont sleep in bed with you? Is there anything in your room or bed that might have scared or upset him in the past? Does he not like to lie flat? My daughter is 18.5 months and she has never slept in a crib so I dont know how to help you there. But I think your son needs you to sleep with him but for some reason doesnt like your bed??
    Also what do you mean he wants nothing to do with sleeping in your bed? Like what does he do that makes you think he doesnt like it?
    kjflaherty

Answer by kjflaherty at 3:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2010