Bottles

Ok my son will be a year old next month so me and hubby figured we would start weening him from a bottle but he loves these straw like sippy cups anyways so he doesnt care as long as he has his formula he's happy but my mom said it was bad that I was weening him that he is still a baby. When did you guys ween your baby from a bottle?

Nikky0803PAG

Asked by Nikky0803PAG at 12:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started about 11 months. The straw cups were a life-saver for us, because my son would never figure out how to tip up a sippy. Anyway, if your son isn't hugely emotionally attached to his bottle and likes the straw sippy, then there's no reason to even think twice about it. The only harm that could even possibly be done is if he really loved the bottle for the sake of having the bottle and you took it away cold turkey, though even that is debatable about how much "harm" it could cause.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• A year is perfect unless your little one is underweight, which I am assuming he isnt.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 12:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• My son's pediatrician said that by one year he should be off of a bottle.
    Anonymous

• At one year. It is perfectly fine to get them off the bottle at one year and move on to a cup. It sounds like your son is well on his way if he likes a cup with the straw.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• You are doing AWESOME!
    Your mom just wants to keep him a baby longer, but now is the PERFECT time to get him off the bottle.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• My son will be a year next month, my mom also told me he was too young to be off the bottle but I don't think so, I will probably try to start with the sippy cups next week , good luck mama, I think you know your baby best and if he loves the sippy cup that's a clue he may be ready.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I've always been told by pedi's that baby should be off the bottle BY 15 months...so before is even more optimal. If he's ready to give them up without a fight now, by all means, go for it!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• My pedi told me to start taking it at a year and that it needed to be gone no questions asked by 15 months. My son will be 1 the 27th and my mom also says hes too young and its going to traumatize him.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• We weaned off the bottle at about a year. It was so easy though. i dont even think he noticed. LOL. He preferred the sippy cups.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• All my kids were weaned from a bottle by 13 months at the latest. And that was because we had formula left. Once the formula was gone so were the bottles. I never put formula in cups, only water, milk or juice (mostly water, my kids don't usually drink milk or juice). I never had any issues but by the time they turned 1 they were down to just 1 bottle a day (usually before bed).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:14 PM on Jun. 15, 2010