Are there any schizophrenic moms out there like me?

I have been schizophrenic since i was 33 yrs old. I'm now on geodon 20mg. I have a 2 and 4 yr. old at age 41. I was wondering if there's other moms out there who are schizophrenic also.

destinys1

Asked by destinys1 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Health

• Technically I'm BiPolar type 2. But I do have mild schizophrenic symptoms... But I'm not in treatment for any of it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I have anxiety depression and untreated adhd and have a 2-1/2 year old - if that helps :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Im the same as Sabrina..
    Anonymous

• I'm just curious...Sabrina and Max...why are you not treating your symptoms professionally? I should think you would want to address and manage your issues so you can feel the absolute best about yourself.

Because of my mother being diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, I was worried that since mental illnesses like this are passed down from mothers to their children, that I would inherit something like it, and so when she was diagnosed I had myself evaluated--and considering both of my children have autism.

Turns out my blood chemistry is perfectly fine and my psych evaluation was normal--I just suffer from the normal stresses and frustrations that go along with raising two special needs children along with early menopause (at age 37)! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:33 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I have Bipolar Type 2 and anxiety issues. I've been on meds for both since I was 16 years old, I'm 24 now. I've never been diagnosed with schizophrenia but ex-husband's mother was. She wasn't being treated well by her doctors. She wasn't a good mother and for nearly 30 years was on the wrong combo of meds. A couple years ago the doctor seemed to finally find something that worked, she is much more mellow now without being a zombie and I'm starting to get to the point where I trust her with my kids. I worry about my own children though with Bipolar disorder running in my family and schizophrenia on their dad's side. My ex is also schizophrenic but not nearly as bad as his mother his two brothers are as well, though his aunt didn't pass it on to her own daughter so I'm still hoping it will skip my kids.
    Anonymous

• I am treating my Anxiety and Depression with Cymbalta - However, I have a chemical imbalance that makes me quickly build up a tolerance to medication - I love Cymbalta but am already at max dose after 1-1/2 years - I have been on over 30 since I was 15 - that's my life long schedule is to just keep trying more and more as I will build a tolerance to all meds I take -there is counseling /therapy I can do, but it requires group therapy and 2 times a week - with a co pay each visit, that would total over $250 a month - also, my anxiety is social so It freaks me out - I hope to do it in the future once we don't have daycare to pay for though - I tried treating my ADHD with meds and the 4 different Meds I took made me extremely angry - HORRIBLE angry and mean. I refused to do that to my son at 2 years old - I want him to enjoy me- again, I will try when he's not so young
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I also worry about my kids getting a mental disorder. My mom and sister are both schizophrenic, and so am I. My kids have a 50-50 chance of getting it too. I'm thinking of giving them fish oil. I heard there's research out there on fish oil to help prevent mental disorders. My kids are still young 2 and 4 yrs old. I Pray when they get older they are healthy mentally. Thanks to everybody who answered my question. Best of Luck to All of you.l
    destinys1

Answer by destinys1 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 16, 2010