Tips on pricing handmade items for sale in my online boutique...

I am getting ready to open my Etsy site, but I have no clue how to price my items. I need them to be high enough to turn a profit, but low enough to make a sale! Any tips? Thanks so much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• You could start by going on e-bay and see that similar items are selling for.
    Anonymous

• General rule of thumb when pricing items to calculate the exact cost of materials per item, then the time it takes to make one and how much that time is worth. Once you know your cost of making one item you need to at LEAST double it, most business books will tell you to triple it so that way you can use some of the money to replace the purchased item...

So if you make something and your costs and time equals $5 per item you want to sell it retail for $10-$15
    .
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I personally think the cost of the supplies x 3. So for instance I make quilts and some cost me 100 for fabric so the least for that quilt would be $300--unless of course it was intricate and very detailed then more.
    I never think selling my stuff is worth my time. I put too much of my self into everything.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2010