swaddle

my 3 month old has allways gone to sleep swaddled. naps and everything. a few days ago she started to get out of it. she will go to sleep just fine in it, but then wiggles her way out and wakes up. we tried to put her to sleep w/o it and with just one arm out, but neither work. she is having trouble sleeping because of it (and so are we!!) anybody gone through this? what did you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Three months is a growth spurt time -- so she's likely waking to eat (so do you nurse her / bottle feed her?). This is one of the reasons why I am against routine. Swaddle every time, bath every time, same sequence every night. What happens when you miss a sequence?

It's not that we haven't had a change in pattern even though we co-sleep. We have. It takes a few nights to adjust. But I don't do anything elaborate. I might try going to bed earlier/later, or change position, keep the lights on (or off), have moderate noise level (she doesn't sleep soundly when it is pin quiet and I don't blame her!)

I am a big believer in letting a baby fall asleep in multiple places during different activity whenever they are tired. My baby is out cold on my back in a mei tai right now. One day she just happened to fall asleep and decided that that was fine. She's fallen asleep on my chest, on our bed, etc etc etc
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:47 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Right now (8 1/2 months) we are going through an anxious phase where she doesn't want me to leave her side at night. It's a milestone thing and it will change of course. She gets up to nurse, or to potty but more often wakes briefly to check to see if she is safe then changes position and nods off again.

I don't know. I guess I just go with the flow?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• thats great, but she will not fall sleep anywhere like that!!
    Anonymous

• You can buy swaddle blankets that velcro for jsut this reason.
    http://www.kiddopotamus.com/p_swad.php
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• she has a velcro one....
    Anonymous

• It sounds like you're just going to have to deal with some rough sleep for a bit while she adjusts to sleep without the swaddle. Although she's having trouble sleeping without it, the fact that she's breaking out is a sign to stop swaddling. Either just go cold turkey, or keep trying the one arm out. We found wrapping his belly for awhile and then switching to a Halo sleepsack to work really well. Good luck!
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 6:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Wow my kids hated being swaddled after the 1st few weeks, they both would cry cause they wanted there arms free lol. Sounds like shes growing out of it. I have a 9 week old and I hold her tight while rocking her in bed and she falls asleep. If that doesnt wrk try putting her in the swing till she falls asleep and then transfer her to the crib or wherever she sleeps.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 8:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Have you looked into a Woombie? They're similar to a swaddle but with minimally more movement. It may help her eventually transition out, but give you more sleep in the meantime (and they can't be undone!).
    pncsmama

Answer by pncsmama at 1:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2010