have you ever had a friend that you love so much but........

you dont agree with there life and decisions so much that you almost feel like you cant be friends with them? or are you supposed to just accept everyones own personal decisions for there life and not let it effect your friendship?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• it depends... i have plenty of friends who do things differently than i would and i cringe at their choices. but it is their life, their decisions, their mistakes to make, etc. what's right for me is not necessarily what's right for them and i love them unconditionally. there have been a couple times i've had to drop friends when it became obvious that they could not reciprocate a true friendship but were drama queens and wanted me as their audience, or those that were doing things so harmful to themselves and/or those around them that just the toxicity was just not good, not what i wanted in my life. sometimes when you no longer have a common ground the best thing to do is both move on.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• You can still be friends, but you should not choose them for your closest friends. They will pull you right down to their level.
    Anonymous

• My life long best friend is a drug addict. I have tried so many times to help her, payed for her rehab and everything. I love this girl just like a sister. Growing up we were always together. Got up for school every morning together, we were always at her house or mine. Even after high school we were always together. But she met this guy and started doing drugs. I tried to get her off them. Let her stay at my house, eat my food, drive my car(that she totaled) and I didn't say anything or ask for a dime in return. She got clean once and was clean for over 6 months so I left her at home with my 10 year old sister while I went to work. And when I came home she was passed out with a needle in her arm in my bathroom and my little sister was in my living room with 3 grown men. I was beyond pissed. I had those men pack her to the back seat of my car and made them leave, took my sister to my neighbors house and I drove her to the cont
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't not be friends with someone because I dont agree with their lifestyle, but I would distance myself. I wouldn't make them the closest friend in the world depending on the severity of said "bad decision". For example, I have a friend that spends frivolously even though she has a large amount of debt some of which could land her in jail if she doesn't pay. It doesn't stop her from purchasing designer purses, clothes, and shoes on a regular basis. I am still friends with her even though I disagree with her spending habits. So like I said, it just depends.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Psych center at the hospital. I told them to come out to my car and help her in. I signed her in and I left. I tried so hard to help her. But there was no help for her. She was too far gone. Right now she is 5 months pregnant going to the methadone clinic. So her baby will be born addicted to drugs. She is pregnant by her boyfriend's sister's boyfriend who is also an addict...I have totally and completely put her out of my life. I can't have people like her around my son, and I wont. I love her no matter what but I no long have contact with her, if she calls I ignore it.

Sorry for the long story... I was just going to say sometimes, you have to put people out of your life no matter how close you are with them. Because you can't help people who wont help themselves.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I have/had a good friend that is so desperate for money (got laid off 1.5 years ago) that she is now selling herself on craigslist in desperation. I mean - she has 2 kids and she is fine doing this. I thought it desperate and sad. I don't judge her but feel that she made some huge mistakes that lead her down this path that didn't have to happen. She left her husband 3 years ago without a financial plan knowing he'd screw her over. She knew her high paying job was going to come to an end but failed to save or prepare. She spent the past 3 years chasing after a boyfriend and squandered a lot of $$$ away on Burning Man instead of planning for these hard financial times. So I feel she is irresponsible and opening herself to risk having sexual relations with men she doesn't know just to make a buck. We don't talk much anymore because we have very little in common now.
    Anonymous

• Yes, one I cut off completely and the other is still around only because she has cancer and I feel like it would be cruel to break off with her even though I really want to, I believe what she does to her kids is cruel even if the law doesn't.
    Anonymous