Need support.Just told my 24 yr old daughter to pay rent.She got offended.

So my 24 yr old daughter came back home to get on her feet again.so I let her and gave her a key.Her feet keep taking her to the fun parties.she didn't help here at home physically or financially.so I told her to pay $200 a month.she almost cried and left.It went better than I thought it would.I told her it was time to grow up and be a responsible adult.I feel a little bad about it.but I know it was the right thing to do.Help me out ladies.

evelynwest

Asked by evelynwest at 1:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Stand strong in your decision. She is not a child any more and if she has money to party, she has money to pay rent and everything else.
    Anonymous

• you did the right thing for sure. she needs to grow up.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Well, I dunno. I think it's okay, but maybe you could give her a chance to help out more?
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:45 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• You did the right thing!!
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:46 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Oh yes you did the right thing. When I was 16 I told me mom I had to leave shcool. I was getting abused by my peers and I could not continue. It was way too expensive for my mom to switch districts so it was get a stiff upper lip or drop out and pay rent. I was 16 and paying rent!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• does she have a job? im 23, i have a college degree, but with the bad economy, i've been having a really hard time finding a job. my mom pays my half of all the bills (my SO pays his half). my mother or my father, would ever make me pay rent if i lived with them, especially if i was having a hard time getting on my feet. me and my mom actually talked about this, and she said the only way she would make me pay rent is if i had a good paying job and good afford it. i guess if your struggling and you need her to help her, then you need it and thats that. but if your just doing it just because she goes out and party's sometimes, i dont understand that. my mom lets me go out and party sometimes too. she doesnt think i should have absolutley no life just because im having a hard time finding a job and cant support myself yet. but if shes doing absolutley nothing with her life to make her situation better, then i understand.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:46 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• If she is that offended she kind find somewhere else to live. Of course she should be contributing to household expenses. You did the right thing. No one learns how to stand on their own two feet if their parents keep supporting them.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:50 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Don't back down, you're right. Once I got a job at 14 I had to start paying board to my mom - all my sisters had to also. Especially where your daughter is an adult, she should appreciate that her 'rent' at home is a HELL of a lot cheaper than if she were to get her own place. She will be eating, showering, using electricity, etc...therefore, she should be contributing to the household bills. If she doesn't like that, I personally would tell her to find her own place and take back the key.

Good job, mama!
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 1:50 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• She has a job.She is always broke.She spends her money on cigarettes beer and gas.I've tried to encourage her to improve her situaiton.But she is hung over most of the time and wants to sleep.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• eve, than yes have her pay rent and stop drinking or you will kick her out!!! Sorry but that is NOT cool and only you can do something about it!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2010