Could I have hypoglycemia or another medical condition? Or I'm a thinking too much about it?

I can't remember when it started but last week I nearly passed out with only my 4 year old in the house and it frightened me. When I first wake up in the morning I can not eat immediately, it gives me a stomach ache which can last throughout the day. So I usually go on about my day without thinking about breakfast but if I wait too long to eat I get dizzy and feel like I'm going to be sick - even to the point of dry heaving. When I get to that point I can get myself back to feeling normal by eating. Drinking fluids don't eleviate the symptoms, it has to be actual food in me to stop feeling sick. I thought this was just normal and everyone felt that way but I brought it up to a couple of my brothers and both of them said they can go without eating all day and don't feel sick and certainly don't ever come close to passing out. I'm not diabetic, nor do I have a family history of it. I've had blood tests in the past and everything

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Health

• was normal but then again I'm not positive what exactly those tests would have shown.
    Anonymous

• You really need to go ask a doctor about this. It does not sound normal at all.

Answer by louise2 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• {OP}: Thanks. I'm looking for opinions because I didn't want to go to a doctor and look like an idiot since the only people I've really talked to about it is two of my brothers.
    Anonymous

• Your brothers may feel okay if they don't eat all day (although this is never a good idea) but everyone's different. I know if go for long periods without eating I'll feel light-headed, irritable and sometimes even stomach sick...and I'm not diabetic. I can't eat first thing in the morning either...the thought of food just makes me feel icky. But I'll usually have a little something light, like fruit or a granola bar about an hour after waking up. I'm curious...you say if you eat first thing in the morning you can get a stomach ache. What do you normally eat or drink? If I drink orange juice or milk on an empty stomach, it can make me feel sick. The same with eggs.

Like I said, going for long periods without eating isn't a good idea. But I think some people, maybe those with a faster metabolism, are especially sensitive.
    Terranova

Answer by Terranova at 5:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• {OP}: I can drink water and coffee first thing when I wake up but I can't eat anything. I've tried eating some fruit when I first get up but it still gives me a stomach ache and so usually in the morning I get my kids up, do household stuff and get to work and I'm usually so busy I don't think to eat until I start feeling sick - usually about 4 hours after I wake up. On the rare chance I skip something in the afternoon I'll start feeling sick again around dinner time and while cooking dinner I end up fighting the dizziness praying I don't pass out. Oh and what I didn't mention is that my brothers don't intentionally go all day without eating; they're like me - when they're caught up with work and other things they don't think to eat.
    Anonymous

• Go buy a glucose meter. You can get a cheap one for under $20. Check your blood sugar first thing in the morning & before you go to bed. Keep a log. You sugar should be 90-100. Check it a couple hours after eating too.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 15, 2010