Why is it always assumed that a new or generally misunderstood religion is evil or wrong?

What makes any religion better than another? Isn't the point of religion to find your own path... If one path fit all there would only be one...

So why do we assume that just because WE don't understand or know about the inner workings of a belief system, it must be some evil cult or something?? Why can't we just do out best to try and understand that they may have just as legit a path as we do and maybe even do our best to try and learn a little truth about it BEFORE we leap to conclusions based solely on propaganda and rumor?

Is it really to much to ask...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because all religion takes advantage of people in some way,so why should new ones be any different. You show me a new religion/movement that has come about in the last 100 years that hasn't done this.
    Anonymous

• Because, unfortunately, many people are brought up to believe that their way is the only way. They are not given the opportunity to see for themselves the real way of the world, so to speak. If everyone was taught to honor each others' beliefs and even perhaps want to learn from others, we would all be so much better off. The world if full of things to learn, I just look at each new idea as a learning experience. I will never shut off anyone as to their beliefs. I love learning!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:27 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Anon - how does religion take advantage of people? I know mine doesn't... Religious Leaders CAN take advantage of people, but that doesn't mean that religion itself does...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Because many faiths teach theirs is the one and only true path. So of course anything else, new or old must be false and therefore in it for the money.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I'm thinking it's because people fear that which they do not understand... and they are to closed minded to try and learn where others are coming from. delete your answer

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• OMG! Are you kidding? How about telling you what to wear,what to eat,who to associate with,how many kids to have,give a percentage of your income to,who to marry,the list goes on! You're guilted into giving money to them for missions,feeding the poor,caring for the church. You can pray for free at home! God/Jesus don't expect you to pay for prayer and guidance.
    Anonymous

• It's always due to ignorance.People do tend to fear what they have been told is different.In times of vast illiteracy this was understandable.Not being able to educate yourself or strive to learn at least what other religions/beliefs are about leads to misconceptions and distorted ideas.I've admired those who wanted to learn more and then judge for themselves.Force-fed religion has never worked for me.I chose to find out more about other religions.It was as simple as that.You can't deny the good sense of this:"A little learning is a dangerous thing."
    MyrMar

Answer by MyrMar at 2:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Is this directed at anyone specific? I'm confused at the question.
    Anonymous

• isn't it obvious that some just don't get it?
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• If this is in relation to the Scientology question.. I had a friend in Scientology... I have also looked into it personally... that is one "religion" I will actually tell someone to stay away from (I would do the same if the "church" seemed like a cult as well)

Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 3:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2010