enraged! does this sound right?

We were staying in our in-laws condo, where there is a pool, and we took our girls to the pool. Now, this is not a super-family-friendly place... they have only a few hours of the day where kids are even allowed, it's practically like a retirement community, the only kids that are ever there are grand kids. I took my girls in in their bathing suits, and they're both potty trained, so I didn't put them in a swim diaper. We don't have any kind of diapers in the house. The pool supervisor person came up to me and said that my little one needed a swim diaper or she couldn't swim. I explained she was potty trained (she would NOT poop in the pool anymore than you or I, and at my parents' pool, she tells me every time she needs to pee, which is usually right after we get in, ugh), and anyway, that wasn't good enough, she still needed a swim diaper. We had to leave, and I was not about to come back. Was this right???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would have left too. I can understand "adult" communities and wanting a quiet afternoon. But if you are there with your child and know that they are potty trained, No way would I go back there, and I would let my in-laws know how you were treated. It doesn't make visiting them much fun.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Oh, I would have been mad, too. How old is your daughter? Was it just because of her age? I mean, did they have a rule in writing about how old kids needed to be in swim diapers?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Their pool, their rules. If you don't like them or don't agree with them don't use it. Most pools have a policy for toddler swimmers.
    Anonymous

• Depending on the age I guess. Personally, they don't need to tell me my "potty trained" child needs a swim diaper. Crazy.
    Anonymous

• their pool = their rules
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• There was no rule in writing, at least not posted.
    Anonymous

• i'm not saying your kids arent potty trained but i'm sure they have had people come swimming there that are just too cheap to buy swim diapers or too lazy to put them on their kids and they don't care if their kids piss or shit in the pool because it "their kids" they don't think about anyone else. They probably would lie and say their kids are potty trained. I would just get swim diapers.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I've supervised a pool. The rules are not just to piss people off but for the safety of everyone participating. The pool supervisor doesn't know you or your child - I've actually had parents tell me their child was potty trained as the child peed on the deck next to them. Not that the parent was lying - but things happen. Your child may have been perfectly fine, but from the supervisor's point of view it's better to be safe than sorry. Parasitic illness can be easily contracted from a pool. If your child poops in the pool the pool has to be shut down and decontaminated - that process can take from a half-hour to two hours depending on the equipment the pool has. That is inconvient and expensive. And if you have an older population who may have illness, problems with their immune system - they're more likely to be affected by a parasitic illness. I think the supervisor was just trying to keep everyone safe.
    Anonymous