My SO proposed to me yesterday and taking a closer look at the ring...

it's fake! I told him I wanted at least 2 ct, but if he couldn't afford it, then I would take something smaller. I just wanted a real diamond. Should I give it back?
btw he proposed to me at my Uncle's funeral

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• umm... How do you know it is fake? Did you take it to a jeweler.
    Why would he propose at a funeral
    Anonymous

• Ok this is just weird. First off WHY would he propose at a funeral! STRANGE

Secondly, how would you know its fake just by looking?
    Anonymous

• Proposing at a funeral is just weird IMO. So did he say the ring was real? Or did you just think it was? If he lied than that is a horrible way to start off a life together. Talk to him about it.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I did not realize you married someone based on the ring they buy you...maybe he plans on buying you a better ring later. Its not the actual ring that is important, its what it symbolizes.
    Anonymous

• This is just a whole lotta wrong! Proposing at a funeral??! I'd be more coy about replacing the stone.maybe let it lie awhile and bring it up later on.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Really at your uncles funeral? How weird!

As to the ring being fake... I would take it as it is and be happy. Please do some looking into the practices of diamond mining, then maybe you will be happier with the fake one.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I am sure most may find this untraditional, but my husband and I both paid for the engagement ring. What I mean is, he picked it out, proposed.... But over the next year it was both our paychecks that paid for the ring. But for one, do you know how much a 2 ct ring costs and how much he has to spend on one? If you want something he can't afford, how will you two work on your finances as a married couple, I am just saying.... Financial honesty, financial history, finance finance finance is a HUGE part of marriage.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I'd want a real one too actually... Who the heck proposes with a fake diamond? Anyways, I think you have every right to discuss the matter with him and see if you can get a different (real) stone put in.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• funeral...weird. fake ring..who cares
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• the funeral thing is weird. but when my hubby proposed he could have gotten me a gumball machine ring and i wouldnt have cared at all. the ring doesnt matter. you should just be happy that the man you love wants to be with you forever.
    Anonymous