Interview/orientation, What to wear?

I have applied for a job as a 911 dispatcher. I got a call back today and I am scheduled for the group interview/orientation for tomorrow. I will be taking an assessment, going over the job description and doing group and individual interviews. What would be the appropriate thing to wear? I don't have many interview type clothes. All I have is a dress and some nice slacks. I can't afford to buy a suit right now, but can buy a few things if need be. Thanks in Advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would try and pair the dress pants you have with a crisp white blouse and well-fitting jacket. I would wear simple pumps, and body shaping nylons/tights to give you a professional look. I would keep jewelry simple and to a minimum. I would also wear your hair pulled back--in a neat bun/chignon, low ponytail, or in a simple up-do with neutral hair pins/accessories. Keep make up simple and neutral. Stand tall, smile, and bring a notebook/day planner! Show your interviewer that you mean business and are ready to start today!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:40 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• for years i worked in fabulous clothes i got at goodwill. i always got compliments and asked where i got that jacket. if you can find a nice jacket, that would be good. you might even be able to find a suit, maybe even one with tags... also, a few years ago i was broke and needed a suit for an interview... i got one on freecycle that was really, really nice.
    Anonymous

• Go to a thift store. Craigslist or freecycle websites. Wear pants. A dress is so outdated.
    Anonymous

• slacks or a knee length skirt with a blouse. Not to revealing.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:24 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• A dress is out dated? Since when?   Check out this website.  You should find something helpful thers.  http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/what-not-to-wear/

HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 5:46 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Simple dress and jacket
    Skirt, shirt and jacket.

Be sure to send a thank you note to every one you meet with.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I love Goodwill. But they also have free clothing at local "Dress for Sucess" centers. We have on in our neighborhood that gives you a weeks worth of clothing for free. Its all nice, professional work wear for women.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:47 AM on Jun. 21, 2010