Going back to college?

I am going back to college this August to audit classes to keep my brain cells working. It will cost me $75 plus the cost of the text book. Do you think it would be okay to ask a student to 1/2 price of the book? I will pay half and they will pay half and I can copy the pages I need to read and the student can turn the book back in after the semester is over?

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 3:09 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• We use Chegg.com too. I like them, because often times the book that you spent $100 on will have a revised version come out mid-semester and then your book won't be able to resell- or it will, but for something like $20. So we rent, so that 1.) we don't have to worry about reselling 2.) it's cheaper than buying. So far the books we've rented have been in very good condition. Some are even brand new.
    Anonymous

• I have done that before, but by the end of the semester, you spend the same amount on making copies as you would have if you had just bought the book. I would look on half.com or at a local bookstore to see if you can find it used. BTW, if you don't mind me asking. Why are you auditing the classes?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I just need some way to keep my brain cells working. I am retired and have several degrees. If it will cost the same with copies, I will buy a really badly worn used book. Just hate all those highlights and other writing in a used book. I never purchased used books after I purchased one to be cheap and all the underlines and notes were WRONG! Yikes. The TV is useless, the laptop is getting boring, I need to be around people and have meaningful conversations. I read a book a day and am tired of just reading and not talking about it. My dog does not talk back, lol.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 3:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• LOL, completely understand. To answer your question fully, yes, I think it would be okay if you could find a student who want to go in half and you make the copies. Again, just out of curiosity, what degrees do you have and what classes are you taking in the fall? I was going for Elementary Education and was almost finished with it, but since there are no teaching jobs right now, I changed my major to Criminal Justice and I love it. I feel completely challenged and motivated with my classes.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I have a BS in Biology, a BS in pre-med, a BS and a Masters in Accounting, a BS and MS in Human Resource Management. I started into medical school and then my dear ex hubby left and I had to change degrees. I am a retired CPA and I retired from a major women's clothing line where I ran the HR department and the Payroll department. I also was in the Air Force. I just hate sitting at home with my service dog and reading novels and my old college books, I watch the Fox News channel and also the Finance channels and keep my interest in the stock market going. I will be the big 5-0 next month and I don't like to think this is what my life will be like for the next 50 years.  Sorry to whine!

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 3:33 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Check out Chegg.com it is a textbook rental site. I use it for those books that yo know you just are not going to ever look at again. I am sure there are other site out there with rental or even ebooks.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 4:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• try to get the book on half.com and then turn around and sell it on half.com after the semester. You will get about 75% of your money back.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 4:38 PM on Jun. 15, 2010