Today I went to the washer for the first time in 3 days and there it was!

filled with laundry from when my daughter last used it 4 days ago...the clothes were half dry and half wet..I re washed them on HOT they should be okay shouldn't they?
maybe some extra dryer time to kill any remaining mold?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Home & Garden

• It should be ok. I'd probably run them through twice just to be on the safe side because if they've been sitting there, wet, for four days then they've likely started molding a little bit.

My ex-husband used to leave laundry in the washing machine all of the time. It drove me nuts because I was the one who had to try and clean the musty smelly, damp, gross clothes.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• probably still smell funny, like sour clothes. but they should be fine.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I would have added a small bit of bleach to the load to kill the moldy smell. And when it's empty run some hot bleach water through it again, I do that every couple of months anyways.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• lol thats gotta suck if i did that to my m-i-l she wld probably kill me hahaha...put them through the washer twice to kill the smell to and then once in the dryer on high heat shld be perfectly fine..how old is she?
    Anonymous

• If they still smell, rewash and add white vinegar to the wash. Or I usually add a capful of PineSol to get the icky stinks out of DH's clothes
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 4:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Oh and PS =- The dryer will just bake in the moldy smell - don't dry them!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 4:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• My daughter is 17 and should have known better...but thanks for the tips I will be sure to follow them thanks!!
    Anonymous

• I've done it myself a couple times. Rewash them with hot water, maybe twice if they still smell, and then dry like usual. :)
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 4:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Don't use bleach in a load that isn't pure white. Use vinegar as the rinse agent. THEN run the washer with out clothes with Bleach and hot water.

Air dry the clothes.

And then hand your daughter a bill for laundry services and washer cleaning services. ☺
    We did the bill thing with our older sons (twins) once and they never did that again. And they warned their younger siblings about the bill so those 2 haven't done it either.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:34 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My dd is in her 30's and still does that! Just rewash and the rinse in vinegar water idea is a good one.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:42 AM on Jun. 16, 2010