Have you been to New Mexico during the summer?

We are thinking of driving to New Mexico in July to take the kids to Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands. I have a whole week off from work, so we may go a few different places and stay a night or two at each. We will stay in hotels/motels, preferably with pools and not too rustic (camping or "roughing it" are not relaxing to me). My kids range in age from almost 3 to almost 14.

If you've been to New Mexico can you recommend any fun things to do, cool palces to visit, great places to stay, or yummy places to eat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Travel

• You need to check out Capulin Volcano. You can drive to the top and then there is a trail where you can walk around the top rim of the volcano. It's way north in NM though. And you absolutely have to ride the tram in Albuquerque. It's amazing.

What we usually do is go to the caverns (don't forget to go back at night for the bat show), then the next day drive up to Albuquerque do the tram , then go to Capulin for the Volcano on our way up to Colorado and then go see the Rockies. We drive from Texas.

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:32 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• White Sands is AWESOME. Take some saucer sleds if you have them and go sled riding. I was there for a full moon and it was absolutely amazing.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• If you are in the Santa Fe area, go to Rancho de Chimayo for dinner. The food is awesome. We drove the 40 minutes from Los Alamos a couple of summers ago and the kids still talk about it.

New Mexico, especially in the south, is often hot. A good friend took her kids to Carlsbad a couple of years ago and they loved it. Another place that is nearby and looks amazing is the Guadalupe Mountains nearby in Texas. DH and I were going to go this past spring but we couldn't afford it due to some medical issues. Go to nps.gov and it will have awesome information on all of the national parks.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:25 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• To answer your question, yes. I lived in New Mexico for many years and I love its weather and change of seasons. Do send away for the visitors guide. http://www.newmexico.org/
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2010

• yes my dad is mexican and it gets very hott there so if u go take a pool hahahahahahahahahaha
    samie_01

Answer by samie_01 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 15, 2010