Cherry-picking pastors?

I have heard the term before but am curious to see what you think. How many of you believe that the bible is picked apart for the sake of a lecture to get a point across but...keeping in mind that they tell you only what they "think" will help?

How many of you have read Isaiah 45:7???

"I am the one who creates the light and makes the darkness. I am the one who sends good times and bad times." Really?

I am in no way bashing anyones faith. This just made me think a lot on the subject and why I am glad I have chosen a pagan path of peace, nature and love

WonderWoman1979

Asked by WonderWoman1979 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Oh yes..there are pastors out there that do that! And even worse, there are some that take things from the bible and make it into something thats it isnt just to benifit them. This comes from my own personal experience. My pastor that I grew up with did this....of course I didnt realize what he was doing until I was older. He took things from the bible and used to benfit himself and all men in the congregation.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 4:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• There are people who do that. It's not how my Pastor preaches though, he typically takes entire passages and teaches on them, or picks a topic and goes through the Bible finding what many verses say about it, he has never been the type to pick one small verse and go on about it because individual verses can easily be taken out of context and made to mean pretty much anything, it's important to learn what the Bible says overall.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 5:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• What's wrong with God creating light and dark and sending good times and bad? God is in control and He often allows bad things to happen to punish people or draw them to Him. Much of the Old Testament is stories of bad times that God brings on his people as punishment for idolatry and to bring them back to Him. God is not evil, but He does allow what we would consider bad things to happen, but at the same time He promises that all things work together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 5:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I don't think it is God that creates bad ~ its people that create bad or good we create our own lives. I think God can throw things out that make us go one way or the other or see things from a different point of view but in the end its our decision that leads to  consequences, that we have brought on ourselves. And we need to learn from those consequences. I totally agree that pastors put their own spin on the bible that's why there are so many religions all believing that what THEIR way is the only way....Well some one's gotta be wrong ~ funny thing is that everyone is wrong. Nobody really knows, so why are so many so quick to judge even though their pastor told them that judging is wrong yet he does it too. Religion is hypocritical 

Anonymous

• Thank you all for your opinions. I personally don't think god has anything to do with the good or bad. It is just life.
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 6:40 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Any time I went to a church I heard about hell, and tribulation. Once I was enlightened on the Good News of the bible I realized that this men weren't preparing me for ever lasting life; they were preparing me for hell and tribulation. That was a big eye opener. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 6:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Im not Pagan and I appreciate nature...oh well. Sure some churches do that but not all.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 8:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I find this quote comforting, because I know as long as I am doing right in Yahweh's eyes I am set for life and beyond. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2010