How can I get my 13 mothn old to gain weight?

I nursed until he was a year old, and he was fine but he's lost weight since then and my doctor told me he fell off the chart! He's around 17 pounds 8 oz. She ordered some blood work and it came back fine, but I'm so worried. He loves eating fruits/veggies, but is not good with meat/chicken and other sources of protein. He doesn't like cows milk so I give him soy milk. I really try to feed him a balanced diet, and I chase him around all day with the spoon. He does eat, but he's still so skinny. Any advice to fatten him up, in a good way.

pgaytan

Asked by pgaytan at 4:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why'd you stop nursing him? :)

When my youngest boy quit nursing at two, he also dropped weight. We started giving him carnation instant breakfast. And he really likes avacado. :) Some kids are just skinny. DS2 has never been "on" the charts but his growth pattern is steady so the ped says not to worry.
    Anonymous

• If everything came back normal I wouldn't worry about it for now, just wait until his next appointment and see how he's doing. My son actually gained a bunch of weight after I weaned him, my kids get so skinny by about 12 months it makes me wonder if I have a supply problem, but they also are eating so much other food by then and I think I would know if they were hungry. My daughter was below the chart, 16 lbs at a year old, but she was a great eater, it was kind of shocking how much she could eat some times. It made no difference. She's still small although I think she's finally on the chart now at 2 1/2, somewhere around the 3rd percentile. I wouldn't try to make him eat all the time if he's not hungry.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• We went through this with my DD. We started adding olive oil and cream to her foods when appropriate. We stared buying whole milk yogurt...it's kind of thin so we mixed it in oatmeal. Avocado is a vert hig fat food that most kid will eat pretty well. she was also not a huge meat eater but we found she loved tofu. It was soft and easy to chew/pick up and you can use it in almost anything. We also started offering instant breakfast about a tablespoon in her 4 oz of milk at breakfast. You could use pediasure but we couldn't afford it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Oh and BTW she is just tiny. They finally decided she was just small. even though she is still considered 'underweight' she is healthy and developing. at 2 and ahalf she is 24 pounds.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:09 PM on Jun. 15, 2010