When did daycare get so expensive?

My coworker is quitting because childcare costs more than her job pays, I'm starting to think the same thing! Anyone else?

Asked by sadfairytale at 8:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Money & Work

• we pay 220 a week for our potty training twins to go to a home child care provider... yes it is expensive, but when you break it down- it isn't really that much that she is making. (add it by the other children & it almost makes it appear a decent wage) I am glad we found her- I feel safe with my boys there & we can't afford me not to work. It takes away almost all my yearly salary- but what I make over that is what keeps us floating. We don't qualify for assistance and never have even with a high risk pregnancy & twins with a bleeding disorder...
    Kudos to the women who can have a daycare & wonderfully love & help guide our children while those of us who have to- work.
    I couldn't do it! and we couldn't do it without you!

Answer by clnease at 12:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I did that 7 years-ago... After my child care cost I was only bringing home $50 a week.... Ironic thing was I was working at a Daycare Center and I was receiving an employee discount!!!

I just couldn't justify working in a Daycare Center, in a room with 20 other children, for 40 hours a week, and only bringing home $50 after my own child care expenses.

I didn't make great money but it was MORE then min. wage. I don't understand how Mom's that make min. wage do it.

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• That's exactly why I DON'T work. I can't afford to work!

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• yea it's expensive. and it also depends on where your child is going. my son went to a daycare that cost me almost $120 a WEEK. back home i got assistance cuz i was a single parent going to school and working part time so it went of income. i only paid $5 a week. a big difference. now i'm back with the same issue and my husband is the only bread winner right now and it's $100 a week for my 11 month old. i'm wanting some assistance for her also cuz i'm gonna be full time nursing student. so yea it's kinda high

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Thankfully I never had to put my kids in daycare. The main reason was because my husband and I were dead set against having other people raise our kids. He was always the only one working and we lived paycheck to paycheck for years! At certain points we sat down to consider me going out to work, but we calculated that I would just be working to pay for daycare! What was the point!? I spoke to a lady today who said she had to quit her job because most of her money was going to the daycare center. She said she was paying around $300 per week!! I'm glad I work from home and not have to worry about paying for child care because it really is expensive!!

Answer by MarleneJ74 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• That's one reason I stay at home, other than the fact that I love it. But it encourages me in my decision since it would be kind of worthless (we'd not make much after paying for fuel and daycare not to mention clothing for me to look nice at work)...

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I can look at this situation from two angles. As a mom I too hate to leave my son with other people. It is very expensive and I miss out on his daily activities.

From a former childcare providers point of view-we have to make a living too. The actual cost of the childcare that most parents pay doesn't cover all of the costs of running the childcare center. So most childcare centers have to get government assistance or fundraising to cover the rest.

My solution I am working part time while my husband is home in the evening with our son. However, when the next baby is born next year I will have to have something from home b/c I will not be able to work nights & have a new baby at home.

Answer by momofspuds at 11:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I do know some woman who have formed coops for childcare. One mom in their group is a stay at home mom & for her to bring in a SMALL amount of extra income into her home each month she watches her friends children. It benefits the working moms as well because they are not having to pay a HIGH childcare cost each month. I feel that this would be the best of both worlds.

Answer by momofspuds at 12:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2008