Baby Nightmares?

Hi everyone, for the past couple of months my baby has been developing a good sleeping pattern. She, for the most part, is only waking up once during the night. However, at least once a week she will wake up screaming, not your average scream. I recognize this scream, she only cries this way when she is frightened. When I run to her, I try to soothe her, talk to her and hold her but her eyes are closed and she is still crying and inconsolable. Whenever this happens she will wake up again at least once that same night crying... she will eventually calm down in about 5 minutes but after wards it is a light sleep. It scares me a lot and the only conclusion I've come to is that they are night terrors. Can babies have night terrors? Has anyone's baby ever woken up like this before?

kittymom83

Asked by kittymom83 at 5:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Yep it's a night terror. They have no idea that you are there and touching them can increase the night terror since they link the feeling to what they are imagining. She is fine. It's part of the growing process and she is so young that she probably doesn't even know what it is that she is dreaming about...just blurs and colors.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Yes, my oldest had night terrors...its pretty common.

Doesnt happen too often but when it did(and he still gets them occasionally and he's 6 now) it was sad and would break my heart but a little cuddling always helped along with some quiet singing.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I hear a lot about night terrors, but I really think it is just gas. My DS had this a few times and when I would pick him up and rub his back he would burp or pass gas. I think that we interpret this as night terrors when in fact while the baby is sleeping they have gas pains and are dreaming at the same time so they interpret the pain with fear. Try Mylicon for gas and thoroughly burp after meals and before bed.

Anonymous

• She is seeing flashbacks of a horrific death from her previous life. My granddaughter experienced the same thing, so I know how terrifying that scream is. She will outgrow it. It is common to many reincarnated souls.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Answered at 9:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 by:witchqueen

She is seeing flashbacks of a horrific death from her previous life.

this

Babies and young children, being so close to the cusp of one incarnation and the next, remember things better than us grown-ups.

My favorite story about this is from my friend Scott. When his daughter (a teen now) was little enough to be in a crib, but old enough to talk...she said to him one day, "Daddy, remember when *you* were little and *I* was big?" She was remembering a past life they shared in which SHE was the parent and HE was the child!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2010