How do you know you hear from God?

I am feeling a little confused on this, when I ask someone a question about a subject I do not feel in my heart is right, they say take it to God and he will answer for you to know what is right, I do take it to God but maybe I am just not hearing what is being said, how do you know God has spoken to you, is it a feeling or peace or what is it you feel, I always feel I am missing the mark because I do not feel God talks to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It takes a lot of practice to hear God. It's similar to the feeling that you know you just heard your child but no one else did but when you check on them, sure enough, something is wrong. It's that sense that you KNOW even when all the signs point to you being somewhat crazy. When I hear God (and it's not all the time because I'm sometimes too busy listening to my own desires) it's peaceful and feels right. It's that though you have...you know what you should do, then you second guess it and change your mind then later realize that you should have done what you felt in the first place cause everything got messed up. That's hearing God. He doesn't expect you to do everything He says but he gives you the option. Either way you choose, He is giving you a path to follow and will try to make that path the best for you.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• For me it's a piece of scripture that comes to mind. Whatever you "hear" it has to be in line with the Word of God. Some people think if it feels right or brings happiness then it has to come from God. God isn't about feelings so be careful. Satan can bring happiness as well but it's short lived or he can dazzle a person into taking a deviation in the path God has for us. One must have "ears that hear" but having a calm and aware spirit will allow the message to get through.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:20 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I often doubt that I can hear God as well, but there are times that I think He did. For a while I was working at my Pastor's house and he would talk with me a lot, he suggested I pray with a notebook, then after I had prayed some take some time to listen and wait for an answer, maybe I would get something maybe not, but the notebook was to write down my thoughts so that I could look back and see if maybe God was speaking to my mind. I have a really hard time saying with confidence that God speaks to me, but when the times when I think maybe He is, it just sounds like my own thoughts, very calm and quiet. One time I was at a prayer meeting and at one point we prayed for some people who were struggling with infertility, including me. I felt God tell me that he would give me a baby, but that he would not give the other lady I was praying for a baby. 5 years or so later I have 3 children and sadly she still has none biologically.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Sorry, I kept trying to rephrase things and that sounds really messed up now. I agree with the others about a calm and peace. Besides that incident I also prayed for a long time about whether I should marry my husband (we courted, and I even prayed for 2 weeks about whether to do that, I DID NOT want to do it at first, but God changed my heart) and anyway I felt I had an answer from God about that. I don't have very many examples though, not like some of my friends who have all kinds of stories from God telling them which cheese to buy (seriously!) to telling them to give something away, then providing them with something to replace it just the next day. God doesn't speak to me like that, but it's probably because I doubt so much that I haven't learned to listen. Thanks for bringing this up, I need to get out a notebook and try this again.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• If you have an issue or a problem you shouldn't leave it up to God to fix it. I think you can pray or meditate or ponder over it all you want but bottom line is, if the problem is going to be fixed it needs you be by your own will power. Look inside yourself, how do YOU honestly feel about the issue/problem from there you will start to find answers. They may not come quickly or easily but start there.

Anonymous

• I agree anon :35. God gave us brains to use when there is a problem. We can look inside, use our conscience,our recognition of right and wrong and fix it ourselves. That is what he wants us to do.
    Anonymous

• exactly! You can't just sit there and do nothing. You have to take the steps.
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 6:43 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• The reason I asked this was I was the one that asked about prosperity preaching the other day, and a friend of mine that I am very close too, talked to me last night and said instead of going to different websites and things, go to God and let him speak to your heart, do not put my trust in everything I hear but take it to God instead, I guess I just don't know how to hear him either, becauase I have some serious issues with the whole prosperity message, maybe not the message but the way it is taught.
    Anonymous

• oh i got ya sweetie. Well, I can't really say on this one. I used to talk to "god" a lot. I used to feel I had a real connection then I realized it was all in my head. I was able to get a lot off my chest but there is nothing wrong with researching. Seeking the truth but always keeping your eyes open.
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 7:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Yahweh speaks to you. He always warns you of doing wrong, or if something bad is going to happen. He helps you know the right things to say in sticky situations that require his wisdom. He always builds you up when your down, the list goes on. Anything negative like depressing thoughts or low self esteem are not of him. Yahweh loves you, and wants you to know that you are loved. Try using his name, get personal. I do and I am blessed for it! Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 15, 2010