Possible to return to school?

Is it possible to return to school now? When I return to work from maternity leave I will only be working 2-4 hours a week. Yeah, almost hard to return for that little amount. I want to go back to school. I have a wide variety of interets, I would enjoy doing accounting/bookkeeping, medical transcription, legal assistant or paralegal (yes I know they are not the same thing). Point is, I just want to go back to school so I can get a better job... I can't drive to our local comm. college it is over 30 miles one way, and my husband is unemployeed. We can't pay our bills as it is. My question is this... Is there a way to "get paid to go back to school" (advertising Obama pays mothers to go back to school). I don't mind working, but with 3 kids and no income I need a lot more hours than I've got, and with no one hiring that is tough. Any ideas about schools, financing etc...

southernstyle88

Asked by southernstyle88 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• If you do online classes for several semesters, you can manage more credit hours than you probably could in the classroom with a new baby. When my DD was one I carried 10 credit hours with no child care, and only one of those was in the classroom. I would recommend going back to school. That is what I've been doing. I started when she was one, and now she's about to turn six and I have one more semester until I am an R.N. The childcare assistance and PELL grant have helped, plus I've been getting scholarships - it is worth your time to apply. GL!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:47 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• i already finished my associates degree at my local community college - they did the same for me as they did for my SO. i got him to finally start going last semester. he signed up for financial aid, they paid for all of his classes and all of his books. then, what was left of his financial aid that he didnt use, which was $2,000 - they sent him a check for in the mail. theres also a daycare at my community college and its free. as far as you getting there, i dont know. you should try and find a way. if you want something bad enough, its possible.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• You could look for a better paying job that provides tution reimbursement. you could use you financial aid on top of that. your community college sounds really far so I suggest you register with them and do their online courses until you can afford to drive out there daily for classes. You can go back to school just gotta make a way and plan.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• The Pell Grant is the popular government financial aid grant, but there are plenty of others. Your best bet would be to call the college up and ask to speak to an admissions officer or a financial aid officer. Explain your situation to them and ask "How can I make this work?". But you're not just limited to the local community college. A lot of universities offer degrees completely online. It just depends on the university and what degree you're going for.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 5:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2010