Why isn't Al Gore, America's leading environmentalist, speaking up about the oil spill?

Al Gore's Weird Silence

In the spring of 1989, weeks after the catastrophic sinking of an Exxon Valdez oil tanker in Alaska’s Prince William Sound, then-Senator Albert Gore, Jr. was leading the outcry against the company responsible for the second-worst oil spill in United States history. From his position on the Senate Committee on Governmental Affairs, Gore demanded to know if Exxon was “stonewalling” the cleanup efforts. A flustered Coast Guard commandant, Paul Yost, told Congress that Exxon was doing “the most that can be done.”

In the years after the disaster, Gore has become synonymous with environmental action. In an advertisement for his 2000 campaign for president, Gore explicitly called for a ban on offshore drilling: "For me, this issue is not only an economic issue and a health issue, it is also a moral issue," he said. "I think we have an obligation to do right by the environment."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Because, the oil spill plays directly into his hands. Al is seeing dollar signs - huge dollar signs. He will make millions from this. He has the only company in the world that sells the required "carbon credits". He is planning on getting Congress to require some new form of credits as a response to this. Companies will have to go to him for the credits just to operate. He will be filthy rich which is weird. He thinks rich people are bad and should pay more to the poor. How will he get out of that? Oh, no bother. He will be so rich that it won't matter. I can hear him now, "Spill baby spill!"
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Could this be why?

“Al Gore has been keeping his head down now for some time, partly because of the scandals over climate change, partly because people revealed his financial incentive in passing climate legislation,” says Kenneth Green, an environmental policy analyst at the American Enterprise Institute. “He seems to have decided to take his money and hit the door.”

Anonymous

• Anonymous

• He's too damn busy writing checks to Tipper from the divorce.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 6:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I dunno maybe it's because he isn't getting paid to speak up? Why aren't any other celebrities speaking up?
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 6:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Can't be that, Gin. Jimmy Buffet, George Clooney, Bono, Aston Kutcher, James Cameron, Robert Redford, and all sorts of Hollywood people have all been talking about this publically. Al Gore has been as quiet as a stone.
    Anonymous

• Maybe because he's going through a divorce.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 6:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Al Gore is America's leading environmentalist? I'm going to make a movie about how I know more than doctors, and then do I get to be the surgeon general?
    Anonymous

• Maybe because he backed Obama in the election and then spoke out against Obama when Obama embraced off-shore drilling?

Maybe because he realized he is a joke and a liability?

Maybe because he really doesn't give a crap?

I'm guessing he is too busy moving into his multi-million dollar beachfront mansion to worry about this disaster.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:46 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Jimmy Buffet was to open a hotel in Pensacola, so this will effect his bottom line. Of course, he was an environmentalist before this. Even so, I really love his music. : )

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:22 PM on Jun. 15, 2010