School trips at preschool and safety...

Anyone know if these preschools have to any kind of insurance when taking other people's kids on field trips when the kids have to be driven? One school we are interested in does about 4 field trips a month. While I know the exposure is good for my child, I'm a little concerned about her safety.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't have a clue. If you are concerned, ask the school about it. My guess is that it would fall under the individual's insurance claim. Personally, I wouldn't allow my child to ride with someone I don't know/trust. Either I take them, or they don't go. Too many risks for me to be willing to take.
    jwaren

Answer by jwaren at 7:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I don't know about preschools, but the school division here has a policy that anyone driving students has to carry $2 000 000 liability insurance. I drive students all the time, but honestly they know nothing about my driving record. I have a good one, but as long as I have the 2 mill ins I can drive students.

If you are worried about her safety you have two options. Drive yourself or don't let her go. Or ask if they drivers have to provide a driver's abstract. That's basically a history of their driving record and will have any tickets/charges they've had related to driving.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Most do not and they usually make you sign a disclaimer form of some sort. How old is your preschooler? Under four I would not want mine going on field trips like that. Its easy for one to wander off at that age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jun. 16, 2010