Spin off.. so how many of you have used melatonin to make your kids sleep?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I see,same issues,drugs to sleep,I get ya! Nope,never used it.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• unless a doc recommeds it do not drug your kids, how lazy are you? That is bad parenting, and i dont care if you think im rude, and God will forgive me, so I stand by my opinion!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Don't even know what that is. But I would never do anything to make my son fall asleep.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Isn't it an herbal supplement? My DH uses it and he says it works for him. I'm not comfortable with giving it to my kids though.
    Anonymous

• you would acurran88 if your kid slept like 3-4 hrs a night,every night,and/or has night terrors! My friend's son has autism and is like this. Melatonin was a lifesaver for her!
    Anonymous

• I have actually just started looking for a place where I can get NatureMade's new Sleep Aid, but it's not sold around here yet. That has Melatonin in it. I have taken it for years and have given it to my son because he is an insomniac like his mom & dad...

Melatonin is NOT a drug... It's a natural alternative to drugs. And no different from giving them Turkey, Warm Milk or Sleepy Time Tea... There is a HUGE difference between giving something like Melatonin or Serotonin and something like Benadryl which is chemicals and toxins.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Melatonin is a natural substance your body already produces to keep your body's sleep cycles stable. Some kids do not produce enough of it. Many kids with autism have this issue. I have used it to help my son calm down enough to go to sleep, otherwise he would literally stay up all night. It was prescribed by his physician as an alternative to sleep medication.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 8:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Melatonin does not MAKE kids sleep, it HELPS them fall asleep faster and easier. My kids take it.
    Anonymous

• My son has ADD. Melatonin works great for him. He used to lie awake until at least midnight. Now he falls asleep by 9:30. He is 15. It really helps him get enough sleep on school nights.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:01 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• My son has autism and we used it for a while when he was younger to help regulate his sleep patterns, but I would never use it for a long period of time.

Answer by missanc at 9:27 PM on Jun. 15, 2010