can most women pump enough milk a day to feed their baby from a bottle?

I know this probably sounds like a dumb thing to do but I'm tired of breastfeeding but I was wondering if its possible to pump and then feed my baby a bottle. will I produce enough for the whole day? I already have some in the freezer, so its not like I'm going to pump and then feed my baby right after each pumping. part of my reason also is I cannot break her of biting. but I want her to still have the best.
sorry I'm really tired so this might not even make sence.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes
    Anonymous

• you CAN, but it's not easy- and some women do not respond to a pump (like me). I was able to express more quickly by hand, and keep my supply up that way, when my little one was very sick and went on a nursing strike.

Head over to the BF groups to ask for help, you'll just get unnecessary crap from ppl on the boards. GL
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• if you pump every couple hours you should be able to make enough
    Anonymous

• I never could... I pumped and pumped and couldn't ever get more than an ounce or two... Even though both of my boys were EBF I just couldn't ever get enough out...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I haven't been able to get very much from the pump since my DD was about 4 months old. People have exclusively pumped but it is a LOT of work. I agree that you should head over to the breastfeeding moms group. There is a sticky post at the top about biting and how to handle it. I believe it is called "When Babies Attack" lol It is a great group. I am still nursing my almost 14 month old and I wouldn't have made it this far w/o that group.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 8:50 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I could. My son wouldnt latch so i started pumping at the hospital. I was able to pump enough for him for 6 weeks, and than he ate the 7th week off of the frozen stuff :) Mine dried up after 6 weeks though.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 8:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Some women can, but keep in mind that it is way more work. In order to pump enough you would need to pump as a minimum the same number of times the baby is eating and also give the bottles to her to. I nursed 2 kids through the biting stage and can give you some hints on stopping that if you would like some help with that.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:24 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I never would have been able to - I had a hospital grade pump and still had a hard time getting enough to fill supplemental bottles.

Answer by missanc at 9:24 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I'd say the odds are against you. Not only is it unlikely that you will continue to produce and/or express enough, but it's incredibly exhausting. You will have to pump at least as often as your baby eats, in order to keep your supply up. Some have been able to do it, but I'd say most are not able to.
    Anonymous

• When your baby bites pull het TOWARD YOU. This will block her nose and she will reflexively open her mouth. Say, "ow that hurts," put her down and end the session for a few minutes then resume. don't make mlvements or sounds that may seem funny. if she is teething try cooling her gums first.

remember to that an actively nursing baby can not bite. so watch for when she is done.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:19 AM on Jun. 16, 2010