How can i stop my 13month old from becoming a picky eater

Up until acouple of weeks ago she would eat just about anything.Now she would be happy just to survive on bananas and cheese .Any suggestions?

KzaM4Infinity

Asked by KzaM4Infinity at 8:40 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep offering her a variety! Give her a bite or two of something new, followed by one of her favorites. Don't give up if she doesn't like the new food right away...it can take a number of tries. But NEVER force her to try something...just gentle encouragement. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• You can't stop her...it's a normal thing for children her age. Just keep offering her healthy alternatives, but if she is happily existing on a diet of bananas and cheese, that's ok too. No one has ever died from eating bananas and cheese for a few weeks!!
    Anonymous

• It will change again. My DD is almost 14 months. She was eating so great and then would only eat broccoli and cheese and then for like a week only seemed to want to nurse and hardly ate any food. Now she is eating a better variety again. Just keep offering small amounts of various foods at each meal.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 8:47 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I'd cut out nanas & cheese for a few weeks and let some new favorites emerge. Consider avocados for one..... more egg, noodles.... etc.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:48 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Don't LET her be a picky eater. She's still very young - if you let her be picky, she'll always be, if you don't let her, she won't be.
    Anonymous

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase; they all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:52 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

Oh please. Read a child development book.
    Anonymous

• I would cut out bananas and cheese for a while and offer a huge variety of other foods... If your little one develops another absolute favorite change again....
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Thanks for every ones advice.I just worry about her getting enough nutrition.And i will continue to offer her avariety of foods even thogh she just takes one bite and spits it out.It just gets frustrating.
    KzaM4Infinity

Answer by KzaM4Infinity at 11:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2010