calling all moms of heavy sleepers / day potty trained night wetters...

My daughter is demanding underwear at night. So we're going with it. She is such a heavy sleeper that if she pees in the night it doesn't even wake her up. She just wakes at her usual time. We've been waking her at 10:30 or so at night and taking her to the potty... that's going fine, she hardly wakes up, and then she is dry in the morning. (And of course she doesn't drink after dinner, goes potty right before bed, etc, etc). For any moms who have done this, how long did you have to do it? Do you think the fact that we're waking her will help "train" her to hold it longer through the night any faster, or is it just managing things until her body figures it out on its own? I don't think that we'd force her to wear a pull-up since she doesn't want to, just wondering what we're in for... She just turned 3.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• See, I never got how that would help except to make the kid tired because they were woken up in the middle of the night. I just don't see how her body/bladder is being trained, only the parents.
    We didn't do any of that. My 7yo is still in pull-ups and my 8yo still wets the bed occasionally (but hasn't worn pull-ups in 2 years). They are both heavy sleepers. My 7yo is impossible to wake up once she is asleep. I'd have to carry her, pull her pants down, sit her on the potty and hope she wakes up enough to go and then redress her and carry her back to bed because she will not wake up. My 8yo would get violent if you tried to wake him. He once fell asleep on my dad's bed when he was about 6 and my dad tried to wake him up and my son took a couple swings at him out of confusion and almost hit my dad. He ended up having to carry my son to bed because he wouldn't wake up.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:07 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• i dont think waking her will teach her to do it own her own my son is 3 and a half and doesnt wear diaper at all during the day but he has to wear it at night because he simply wont feel it so i have been like this for 2 months and still o better good luck to u all u can do is wait
    LAmommy2

Answer by LAmommy2 at 5:09 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I did the waking thing with my younger daughter. It taught her to wake at a certain time to go to the toilet and she was soon dry overnight as well as during the day. She was a terribly heavy sleeper and a full bladder didn't wake her, but the 'habit' of being woken did. After a week or two I found she was just starting to wake of her own accord when I went in to get her.
    Manth

Answer by Manth at 6:41 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• This is OP. I'm not trying to force her, because I'm not opposed to her wearing pull-ups for a long time (it's been 18 months already for night time only) but I just can't see saying no to her wearing underwear when she wants to. She has had accidents at night but that doesn't make her change her mind. So I guess I'll keep helping her... she hardly wakes at all, always goes right back to sleep, and still wakes at the same time in the morning. The really weird thing is about 6 weeks ago, in her pull-up, she had 4 random days in a row of being dry in the morning without being woken up or anything... then that just went away. I'll give it some time and see what happens. Thanks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My 3 yr old is dry all night, but my 5 yr old is still in a pull up only at night. He may go to kindergarden sleeping in one, I don't care, He will get there when his body is ready.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2010