HOW CAN I GET CUSTODY OF MY DAUGHTER BACK?

I AM AM MOTHER OF 2 CHILDREN-MADISEN9 YRS OLD AND MASON 4 YEARS OLD. I HAVE BEEN A SINGLE MOTHER SINCE 2000. MADISENS FATHER LEFT AND WENT TO FLA. SO HE WOULDNT HAVE TO PAY CHILD SUPPT. AFTER I FOUND HIM, THE COUNTY ORDERED HIM TO PAY QUITE A BIT. HE NEVER FILED FOR VISITATION AND WAS RARELY INHR LIFE. I GOT INTO TROUBLE AND HAD TO GO AWAY FOR SOMETHING MINOR-THE COURT NOT ONLY GAVE HIM TEMP CUST, BUT FULL CUST W/IN 30 DAYS! I DONT HAVE A LOT OF MONEY TOGET HER BACK BUT HAVE GOOD JOB/STABILITY AND SHE WANT S TO COME HOME TO HER BROTHER AND I AND HER SCHOOL AND FRIENDS. HER FATHER REFUSES.WHAT ARE MY CHANCES OF GETTING HER HOME AND WT DO I ND TO DO-I DONT HV A LOT OF $ FOR AN ATTY. PLS HELP ME!!!!!!!! SHE IS W ME NOW VISITING,BY HIS CHOICE-IF I FILE VISITATION, WLD HE HAVE TO MAKE SURE SHE GETS FROM FLA TO OHIO TO C ME?

GREATMOMMY262

Asked by GREATMOMMY262 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Go to Legal Aid and it shouldn't cost anything
    Anonymous

• No offense, but the dad sounds a lot more stable than you, especially if you had to "go away" for awhile. It sounds like he is trying to do the right thing, and is taking good care of the little girl. And where did your son go while your daughter went with her dad? Do they have two different daddies?
    Anonymous

• Is she being abused? Neglected? if so you have a case but without proof of any wrongdoing on his part then you will just have to file a motion for custody that is split...also if legal aide can't help then try the volunteer program through the United Way
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• You had to "go away for a while" ? That doesn't sound good to me. If yout think you can stay out of trouble, you will have to prove it. You will need a lawyer. And some counseling,help,to clean up your life. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• well first i would need to know what u did and u should call your case worker if u dont have one call ur local dcfs dept. of children and family services depending of what u did u will most likely have to take parenting/ counseling and if there was a problem with drugs or alcohol get into aa or na hope this helps
    LAmommy2

Answer by LAmommy2 at 5:13 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Good luck because the reason you lost her was you doing something that you shouldn't have. Once you lose a child in Ohio, it takes a LOT to get them back if custody is given to the other parent. My BIL got custody of my niece from my sister. The judge said she would have to prove she changed and that he wasn't fit to be the custodial parent. So good luck on that.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 7:59 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Looks like you have some work to do. Proove your self tht you are a good mother then fight for your dd!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Good luck, but since you've served time and her father hasn't, the court system will view him more favorable than you. You will have to show extreme improvement and that you can provide 200% better than the father is and that will be hard if he's not abusing or neglecting her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• no matter how small your offence, it seems that manbe dad is the best place for the child! No crime is small that leads to incarceration. I will pray for you, but obviously the court doent find you fit!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 16, 2010