Do you let your child get up at night?

OK to understand what I am asking you would have to know our situation! I am going to school and working part time. My husband and I are both servers and have very different hours than most people with babies. Our schedule is I go to school at 8 and get out about 10 my husband watches her while I go to school then we play till around 12:30-1 and she eats lunch and then we all take a nap. around 7 is dinnertime and then bath and she is in bed by about 9. We stay up until around 2 thus the naps! Anyway my question is sometimes especially when we don't work or have school and she sleeps until around 9 she will wake up around 10:30-11 and be wide awake so I feel bad putting her right back to sleep so i get her up and she hangs out with us for about an hour and then goes back to sleep. Does anyone else do this or should I try to make her sleep when she doesn't want to sleep? My daughter is 7 months old by the way and sleepsgood!

melissaaytes

Asked by melissaaytes at 11:40 PM on Jun. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We have a rather odd schedule too. Hubby works 40 hours a week, and I go to school full time. Our daughter is with me while hubby works and with him while I am at class. Otherwise we are all together. Generally, our schedule is kind of like this:

Wake up- 10:30
    Breakfast- 11
    Play- 11-2ish
    Lunch- 2
    Nap- 2:30/3-4ish
    Play/Go out/ Watch TV etc.- 4ish-6 or 7
    Dinner- 7ish
    Bath- 7:45
    Nap- 8/8:30
    Play/Stories- 9:30ish- 11:30/12
    Midnight- Bed
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 11:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2010

• you can't force a child that age to sleep. You can try to put her back in her crib, but I can't guarantee success and neither can you. At 7 months old, she may be yearning more for a fuller bed time and a switch up of naps, so you can play around a bit with that and see if that helps both you and her.

either way, best of luck, it's hard when you have odd schedules and a little one. I know we had odd schedules and it sucked for me, because I was working midnights (him days). DD started sleeping threw the night at 3 months old.. (when I went back to work). So I was lucky to catch cat naps during her naps. (which was maybe 3 hours a sleep a day). Needless to say that schedule didn't work out for longer than a few weeks before I started looking for a different job. lo.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:03 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Honey, if it ain't broke don't fix it! You are all happy so why do you fell you need to change just to fit some arbitrary rule?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:13 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I work until 4 am a couple nights a week. My LO will hear me come in and he's up. I hang out with him for a bit, even make him a really early breakfast. Then I go to bed and he sleep soundly with me. You are fine. It works with your schedule.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• This is perfectly fine for now.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:20 AM on Jun. 16, 2010