How can a childs attitude change so much? Could it be Special Education?

I ask because when my son first entered school he absolutely loved it. Would get upset if he had to miss even one day if he was sick. This was in Kindergarten and he was in a self contained special education class at a different school. Well ever since he was exited from that class and put into regular education it has gotten progressively worse. He is now in the 2nd grade and has been going to the school we are zoned for since 1st grade. He did have some problems in the 1st grade with his behavior but it has really gotten worse this year in 2nd grade and it seems to me that his behavior has gotten worse since he was re-evaluated and is now getting special education services . He started getting special education again at the end of 1st grade and where we are it is all done in a resource room. But this year in 2nd grade he also got a new resource teacher and his behavior is getting out of hand. Why do you think this is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wish I had an answer but i do have a (hug) keep looking into it and look for groups here dealing with that and maybe some moms will have help. gl.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:06 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Well, it could be a number of things. My son also was in a resource class for awhile. He started feeling like he was stupid, other kids gave him a bad time for having to go to the resource classroom, and the teacher even felt it was the wrong spot for him. Talk to his teachers, talk to him, see if you can figure out what's going on. I eventually pulled my son out of school, homeschooled him for a couple of years, then put him back in school for 6th grade. He was a different child, an honors student received citizenship awards, and ended up in advanced classes. Graduated from high school, had several scholarships, he is 20 working in a bank, and doing very well.

To this day, I've never gotten a clear diagnosis for his challenges when he was younger, but I'm thankful that he's doing well now.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:06 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• By the way, I'm not suggesting you need to homeschool....it was just our solution, and I think there can be plenty of other solutions, you can find the support through your school district. I became good friends with one of my son's resource teachers, and was lucky enough to have her support...we're still friends today.

Good luck, I know how heartbreaking it is when your child has challenges. Message me if you need an ear.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:17 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• If he is getting frustrated because he doesn't understand the work he could be acting out. When my daughter got frustrated she shut down completely. In first grade she did no work. Then the school wanted to just pass her on. I refused to let her because she would only be that much more frustrated in the next grade. Finally I pulled her out of the school to homeschool her. Now we work at her pace and we are free to be creative.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:21 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Thanks for the advice. The school district we are in is horrible and doesn't give anything they don't have too. I am actually looking into a different school for next year because the schoo he is at is seems to be making things worse and refuses to listen when I try to talk to them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Homeschooling is what worked for us too. DS1 does so much better in his school work and behavior now that he is following the example that i set for him and not 20+ other kids his same age.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:20 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Homeschooling is iresponsible in my opinion! Children lack in social skills, sharing, and social knowledge, plus unless you really want to sit with them for at least 6 hours and do what a norm. school would you are simply hurting their education, and as far as a child hating school all of a sudden, t could be the teacher or a class mate, or maybe school and its importance is not focused on in the homne enough! Good luck!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• homeschooling is not the answer for all. i would never call homeschooling irresponsible. there are some very dedicated parents and children who homeschool and form social groups of homeschoolers for social skills.
    however , that was not the question. i do not have personal experience with special education but going back and forth would not make many children feel secure. children generally like some set routine, plus it probable changed the friend groups he knew. just some ideas.
    chris13

Answer by chris13 at 3:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2010