Why does the president have to be born in the united states? Seriously wondering.

I don't know why and would like to know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with the second pp. As far as the first pp... sigh.... I did not vote for Obama, but, it DOESN'T MATTER if he was born in HI or not, because his mom was a US citizen when he was born (she was born a US citizen...) He could have been born on the moon, and because his mom has citizenship, so does he. I KNOW this for a fact, because my dd was born in a foreign country (not even in a US hospital on a US base) - and because I am a citizen (btw, my dh is, too, but it only required one of us to have it to pass it on to her) she also has US citizenship - from birth, just like our ds who was born in the States.

She has what's called a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, it's issued by the US Consulate or Embassy where you are (or, the State Dept directly if one isn't near). With it, you can be Pres, or whatever, just like anyone born in the US. Same citizenship.

So, where he was born really doesn't matter.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:02 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Have you not seen our current President? Apparently they don't have to be born in the states anymore, just be really good at talkeing, oh and have the race card on your side. Yep that's how pathetic we Americans have sunk to. We don't look at all the facts anymore we just listen to words and look at their color. Racist and ignorant! How proud we should be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• The founding fathers of the United States placed this requirement in their articles of Constitution to prevent persons of foreign birth from taking control of the Nation.
    krystie-tina

Answer by krystie-tina at 12:10 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Oh, Anon :06....in case you didn't know he WAS born in the United Staes...Hawaii is one of the United States. Nice try....
    It gets so tiresome to read the same lame posts about the Presidents' place of birth. Just give it up.please.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• LOL I am AWARE Hawaii is a state but last time I check Kenya was not. Do you really think his wife and grandmother would lie about this. Let alone the countless stories run about him long before his run for presidency?

First line of this article written in 2004!
    "Kenyan-born US Senate hopeful, Barrack Obama"
    http://web.archive.org/web/20040627142700/eastandard.net/headlines/news26060403.htm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• what krystie-tina said.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:28 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• It has to do with ensuring that the leaders had this countries best intrest at heart. Could a person born in Englad (possibly raised in England) have very conflicitng intrests if they became THIS countries political leader? Definatly, the same for any OTHER country.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:24 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Thank you to the ones who answered the question and didnt try to change the question!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• anon:28 I have links to prove my point too!!
    http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/born_in_the_usa.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Krystle and ethans are correct.To me it is just good common sense.I would not want to make the mistake of putting a fox in charge of a hen house..although come to think of it ..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:28 AM on Jun. 16, 2010