About what age can you tell if youre kid is ADHD?

My son is extremely hyper, and he throws HUGE temper tantrums. He just turned 2, and he's always been this way pretty much. I was just wondering if I should ask about it to his doctor. I just don't want to look like a bad parent if there's nothing wrong with him, besides he's a brat lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have to diagree with with SaraP1989. I knew there was something different about my son by the time he was 2 and I did talk to his dr. She told me they legally can't do anything for it until they turn 6. Well shortly after my son turned 4 I had him diagnosed by a child therapist and he has been on medication since. He is uncontrolable without it. We also found out in April the he has moderate autism which could have made the symptoms seem worse, but his meds for ADHD work great for both. GL and hope this helps.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:59 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• No two year old has ADHD or ADD.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Sorry I forgot to add that he just turned 5 yesterday and is doing awsome!
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 1:01 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• It's very sad that you've labeled your child and forced him to be on meds his entire life. Are you aware of what those things do to a grown adult, let alone a baby? Just because he's hyper doesn't mean anything. I don't know a two year old that isn't.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:11 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Okay so there is a first time for everyting! Crazy enough I actually agree with SaraP's first reply on this one. I can't even believe I agree with her, but I do. Huh?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• If you don't think problems can be detected in children watch the show "bipolar mysteries" on discovery health channel. These parents have video tapes of their babies acting out, even as infants they could tell something was wrong. Just because it is hard to get a diagnosis when children are so young, doesn't mean they can't be born with these types of problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I would not try to get any child diagnosed with ADD or ADHD before the age of 6 or 7. ...that's just my own personal opinion. Mostly because ADD/ADHD is SOOOOO OVER diagnosed.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:16 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• jnsdrf,
    any good ASD therapist or ASD professional will tell you that symptoms of ADD/ADHD are A PART OF ASD. ...just, thought you should know.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:18 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I know outstangLove, I just thought she should know what I went through. If you spent 1 day with my son without his meds you would be begging for me to take him back!!!! His therapist was not qualified to diagnose him with autism, I had to see a developmental pediatrician to get him diagnosed and considering he is only 1 of 2 in the Phoenix area, I knew he was good since I looked for any and all that were available and had good standing, he is the best!!!! I just wish people could spend 1 day with my son without his meds and tell me what they think. My mom has and she almost had a heart attack because she didn't know what else to do with him. He is her favorite out of 5 grand kids and she can only handle and hr or so with him, even with his meds.
    ADHD/ADD may be over diagnosed, but when you have a child with it, it is completely different! My son NEEDS the medication he is on no matter what anyone says. Cont..
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 5:28 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Cont... He knew maybe 5 words before his medication at age 4!!!! In the last year since he has been on it he has quadrupled his vocabulary and is actually paying attention to everything around him which he never did before. I know my son has learning disabilities for a fact no matter what anyone thinks and I am so proud of what he has accomplished in the last year alone. If you think your child may have ADD or ADHD I would ask a therapist! All they have to do is give him a physical and they will know if he is or isn't. Some may say he isn't which would be great, but I am honestly glad I got him a child specialist to determine that. Yes ADHD/ADD is diagnosed improperly at times but it never hurts to double check....
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 5:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2010