My DD is going thru a phase of not eating her food, what should I do?

So, like the question says.. She all of a sudden doesn't like when my dh and I make Pasta.. It's nothing crazy, it's bowtie pasta with tomato &basil pasta sauce.

I'm sick of arguing with her, and hate sending her to bed with no dinner. Which, is what we usually do.. What would you do?? How should I handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Honestly, I would keep handling it the way you are.
    When I went through that phase, I learned very quickily that my mom would always assume I'm just not that hungry and send me to bed with nothing. No snacks, no drinks...
    Unless she's sick or doesn't like that specific dish, or maybe something that has tomato or something in it that she's opposed to... well, there's really nothing to do.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 2:38 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My girls went through this and I asked her what she wanted to eat....it gave her a sense of independence and gave me peace of mind knowing she had eaten something......both my girls went through this and I know my boys will too.....it's really up to you how you wanna handle it. I know I ask my girls what they want...there not spoiled I just know they'll eat. There are somethings I will not let them eat though...I let them go in the pantry and look at what we have and then pick...if it's anything sweet I don't let them get it but if it's something else like mac and cheese or even cereal I will. It's better then not eating...try a few different things also let her help she might enjoy it also.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:08 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• What you don't want to do is have a power struggle over food; this can lead to an eating disorder.

We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:16 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My sister and I both went through this phase. I find myself going through it with my daughter from time to time. My mom told me that our pediatrician said to simply make whatever we would eat for a week or two straight. So if it's peanut butter and jelly - then PB&J for all three meals if that's what we felt. The thought behind it was that eventually we would get sick of eating the same thing every day for every meal but while she was going thru the struggle at least we were eating SOMETHING. I did try to force my daughter to eat what I made but in the end it caused more headache and arguing then I wanted to deal with. So mac n cheese every day for all meals for a week fixed that problem right up. Now she ASKS for something other than that.
    Good luck!
    Cafe Chastity

Answer by Cafe Chastity at 9:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2010