My dog didn't get along with my kids so I gave him up today...

I did the right thing and he went to the right home. The girl who took him told me to stop by anytime to see him. Still I'm so sad. Have you ever given your pet away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Pets

• I'd like to comment on "Acid"'s response. Really? Don't you think that's a messed up thing to say to someone? Obviously she's upset about giving up her pet. I had to give up my cat a few years ago because the cat would throw up around the house and I had to constantly look around for vomit before I would let my son crawl around the house. It didn't bother me untill my son started crawling. And then, my cat bit my son on 2 separate occassions. You did the right thing. My mom's dog has bitten each of my kids in the eye and their previous dog bit a little girl and she needed stitches on her face. You don't want to mess with animals. Though we love them and have tons of feelings and emotions for them they are STILL just animals and they can not totally be trusted. Good for you. You don't want something like a kid getting bitten in the face on your conscience. I still think about it and it haunts me.
    nickyandgabby

Answer by nickyandgabby at 5:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Yes, I did. I had a Beagle/Harrier and even though he was lovable, he was so aggressive and energetic . I live in a townhome and he had no access to a fenced yard and had no way to run and use his energy. I gave him back to the rescue people so they could find a good home for him. He was too affectionate and pushed little kids over in his rush to kiss them...LOL... my grandkids were afraid of him. He is with a family who lives in the country and he can run all day if he wants to.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:34 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• It's heartbreaking isn't it? You did the right thing my dear. hugs
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 1:40 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I did too. We had a wiener dog. He was aggressive since he was a puppy. He used to growl at my kids friends when they came over, He made me so nervous that he would bite one ot them. I used to walk him every single night. I really enjoyed having that quiet time with Max and myself getting some excercise and some down time. But,,,,he just wasnt a kid kind of dog. Im sorry this happened today,,,it will get easier
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• NO I haven't. I work wtih my dogs instead of dumping my problems on someone else.

Dogs are for life...if you aren't prepared for that, don't get a dog.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• con't.

Its also against my values to teach my kids that its easier to give up on something then to keep trying to work at it.

How do you know the person you gave your dog to is all that she says she is? Where did you advertise your dog? If it was on kijiji, craigslist or something equivalent, I hope to dear god that you did some investigations on the person you dumped your dog on. LOTS AND LOTS of people on those lists troll them for dogs that are free to good home and so on. They come to your house looking like the white picket fence kinda family. In reality they take your dog and will sell it to labs that test on dogs for household cleaners, shampoos, cosmetics, detergents and so on. Others will go as bait dogs for fighting rings.

Did you still make the right choice??
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• At one point we had to re-home not only our 18 month old Dane but also our two cats. As far as "dumping our problems" on someone else, not even close..After having our 4year old son in the hosp for respiratory failure from asthma, exacerbated by an un-diagnosed allergy to animals, re-homing was our only alternative. Giving up pets is a hard decision but I applaud a person that can admit that pet ownership, for what ever reason just is not something they are capable of dealing with and makes the best decision for the animals and their family.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 10:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• it will get easier. go see him in a week or so. u will feel better to see he is happy in his new home. good luck.
    Anonymous