TTC with health issue (a little long)

Alright so I either have hypothyroidism or hyper, I don't remember which one. I was diagnosed when I was about nine years old and took pills for a while, then I stopped by choice. I got back on them, but not for long, because I stopped taking them again. I haven't been on the meds in some years now and now my SO and I are TTC. I completely forgot that I had this, until it randomly popped into my head the other day, when I started my diet and signing up for a gym. If I haven't taken them for this long, does that mean I cannot have a baby now? Because I know that it causes infertility and screw up menstral cycles. I'll have my period, then I won't have it again for MONTHS, then I'll have it, and again won't have it for MONTHS. So I'm pretty irregular. If I get back on the meds will I become fertile again? Do I have to ask for a specific kind to help with that? Just thought I'd get a few thoughts before I made a doctors appt!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I used to be hyper until they killed it and now I'm hypo. I'm pretty confident that if your thyroid had been hyper for that long that you would be dead or close to it by now. You do need to get on medicine, especially if ttc because out of whack thyroid hormones cause deformity to babies. I'm fairly confident that having thyroid disease by itself will not decrease your chances of conceiving after you get your levels balanced out.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• However, I also have PCOS and only get 2-3 periods a year. I do know that when your uterus doesn't shed the lining (menstrual blood), that your uterus gets thicker and that can decrease your chances of conceiving. It can also cause massively crazy painful periods when you do get them.

GL
    Anonymous