Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever considered a mold inspection?

Our bathroom ceiling fell down due to water coming from the apartment upstairs. The super came and "fix" the ceiling but there is mold growing on the ceiling. We've clean every time but it keeps growing again and again.

Every time I called the owner he tells us that we should keep cleaning the surface.

We pay $1400 every month for the rent of this apartment.

 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

This question is closed.
Answers (21)
  • You need to get a spray bottle and put 1/2 water and 1/2 bleach spray it right on the mold and wipe clean it kills the mold on contact and the mold stops growing right away. Then you can have an inspector come in and they can look at things but kill that ASAP breatheing that in is not good for your children or you.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:08 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

  • You need to get a spray bottle and put 1/2 water and 1/2 bleach spray it right on the mold and wipe clean it kills the mold on contact and the mold stops growing right away. Then you can have an inspector come in and they can look at things but kill that ASAP breatheing that in is not good for your children or you.


    We do clean it up but it keeps growing back. I don't understand why this keeps happening. OP
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

  • I've found out that it could cost more that $500.00 to pay for an inspection.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

  • Also to save money self-testing is also recommended. Some laboratories offer this kind of testing. Mailing in the samples instead of calling inspectors save money.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

  • I've tried calling Housing Department but unfortunately there are no regulations in effect for mold.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

  • EPA
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

  • The environmental protection agency is a good source for information about mold.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

  • from EPA website:


    "If mold is a problem in your home, clean up the mold and get rid of the excess water or moisture. Fix leaky plumbing or other sources of water. Wash mold off hard surfaces with detergent and water, and dry completely. Absorbent materials (such as ceiling tiles & carpet) that become moldy may have to be replaced. Learn more"

    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

  • Depending of the damage the ceiling should be replace but I'm not sure how to go about it.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

  • Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 AM on Jun. 16, 2010