Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Financial Support From the Father

My son is illegitimate son . He is using my surname. Is he entitled to receive financial support from his father ? And the fact he is not supporting my son. Can I file a legal action in regards to this ?

Hope somebody can help me.

Thank you

Answer Question

Asked by MoMyChEnG at 5:00 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Relationships

Level 2 (6 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Ugh, I hate when people say "my illegitimate child" Makes it sound like it is their fault.

    Yes you can go after the father. You will probably have to have a DNA test ordered in order to do anything though.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:02 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

  • If he is the father and the child is under the age of 18, then he should be paying child support. Your son not having his last name has nothing to do with it. It's all in the DNA. You will have to file for child support though. I would contact a legal aid and see how to get the ball rolling. Good luck.

    Answer by GavinsMommii at 5:05 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

  • I agree with GavinsMommii and I will be honest - my children's father and I never married either. They both use my last name and he has never denied they are his but he is pretty pathetic with what he pays. My fault as I could have went after more but his whining and vicious wife has kept me from doing anything. I work seven days a week and it is really beginning to get to me. My kids work part time but that is to help support themselves through college. He doesn't get it and is horrible to deal with and I am considering going back to court myself. Even if they are over 18 but going to college - you are due support. Trust me.

    Answer by DianeH214 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

  • Yes you can. Go to the state child support office and use their attorneys. They will have a DNA test done and when it comes back they will take him to court for you. It doesn't matter if the child was born in or out of wedlock and doesn't matter about what surname you used.

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:24 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

  • A paternity test is usually required to prove he is the father. Once that is done and he is found to be the father, then yes you can file an order for support and if he doesn't pay he can be put in jail.

    Please don't raise your son around the idea he is illigitmate...that is such a gross lable to put on a child.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.