Is it stealing if I have a key?

My EX left me stranded, We live 10miles from even the nearest corner store/gas station. That's driving w/a 45 speed limit, So I don't know how far walking, maybe 30-45minutes
Anyway
I have no vehicle and barely any money but I need to go do laundry, buy some essentials because I am running out, pick up some boxes and If I have time visit my sister.

I also have an 8month old and I don't have one of those strollers you can put the carseatso since I don't have a bazillion arms and hands I am going to take a cab to his job and take his car. It'll cost me a nice dime but I need to run errands badly and Im moving in 7days so it's essential. He always works diff hours but I know for sure he is in this morning :)

I have my own key to his car
Q? Should I tell him or leave him stranded like he left us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Lol. xD
    Park the car in a completely different spot or something like that. Then text him and let him know that you've dropped the car off, and don't respond when he asks you where.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 6:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I would try to find a way around using it. You can't not tell him, he's going to be a prick and get the authorities involved, and if the car is in his name they will say it's stealing. Even though it's a domestic thing and you're not married now(?), it still could get ugly for you. If you can't find another mode of transport....you have to talk to him. Tell him you're getting your stuff out and will be back at such and such time....

good luck
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 6:17 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• There are so many wrong things to this question.
    No, it wouldn't be a 30-45 minute walk, it'd be much, much longer, especially since you have a baby.
    He left you, so doesn't that necessarily mean that you two are over? So, if you went and took his car, even IF you had a key, it's still considered stealing, and just morally wrong, even if he left you two stranded. If you're going to do it, I would at least get his permission. Does he even realize that you have a key to his car still?
    Honestly, I'm kind of baffled by this question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:21 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• tell him then talk about tha car after he gets off work !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• OP here
    Yah He knows I still have the key. Well the whole situations is Im a SAHM, so I have no money, when he left he emptied my savings account and only left me 600 cash. This was 4days ago. He didn't pay rent so I have to move in with my mom, So Im also going to see if I can go file for child support and custody for my son while I am out. SO Im not really morally in tune with what'sright and wrong here, im just trying to survive

I just want to know if It's stealing if I just walk up to the car, put in the key and take it? I know it sounds dumb, but If I tell him Im coming he wont park the car where I can get it. I have no problem telling him after I HAVE the car, but not before
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• 2 Adeline1210

This is OP
    I could get around using the car but then I wouldn't be able to do what I set out to do, Maybe just one thing, I only have one solid ride and that's my mom and she doesn't like to drive around and she won't let me use her car because Im not covered
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I don't know if it's necessarily stealing, but it really sounds like it. Especially if the car is under his name, and he doesn't know about it, and he comes out and...his car is gone. He could and probably would call the cops, and they'd find you driving around with his car. It won't matter that he knows you have the key, he could suddenly "forget" and claim that you stole it. Either way, it's a terrible idea, and I would try and find a different way to go about it.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 6:32 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Well, tell her that you have things you HAVE to take care of. Laundry, court stuff/filing for custody and whatnot, getting essentials, all those things are important. She should understand. If not, well, just be adamant.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 6:34 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• OP

Okay..that makes sense ManicMomma02
    I didn't even think about that

I know he won't call the cops if he knows I took it but he will try to stop me from taking it, or try to tell me he'll give me a ride...pff ya right and then I wont get anything done

I'll walk in and see if he is there to tell him, if he is in the back or something I'll leave a note with someone to let him know I stopped by...he'll put two and two together and call

and not trying to be mean, but I kind of am
    I want to not be there when he gets off, just "forget" maybe and be late

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:42 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• OP here

HAHA good idea :P
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 AM on Jun. 16, 2010