Did your period go from regular to irregular after having children?

My daughter is 22 months old. Before I had her, my period was very regular. It came on the same day every month and ended on the same day every month. After having her, I noticed that it was very irregular for about 6 months, but then it got back on track. In January & February it came on the 7th and ended on the 12th. In March it came on the 11th and ended on the 16th. In April and May it came on the 13th and ended on the 18th. Not it's the 16th of June and I've got nothing. It's just got me really worried. I don't want anything to be wrong and I know I'm not pregnant. I had pap smears done in 2008 and 2009 and they both came back fine and I was told I didn't have to get anymore for another 2 years. I'm only 20. Can anyone give me some advice? Some words to calm me down a little bit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Health

• My hormones stacked out of whack for awhile after childbirth. I think the baby was around 2-3 years before things straightened out. Also if you are stressing about it it can make it late as well. If you know you are not pregnant just relax about it and it might help to get it straightened out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• oh yeah. I got my tubes tied after my third child and it was all over the place for a while. Just give your body time to adjust
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 8:06 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• it sounds like you are alternating between a 31 and 33 day cycle. When you have a baby, your hormones change. I went from having an irregular period to a regular one. Keep in mind that anytime you are stressed in the first couple weeks from the start of your period, it can delay ovulation and then will delay your period. I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you know you aren't pregnant and aren't having any other issues, it is probably just irregularity,
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:06 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I thought that my body has already adjusted since my daughter is almost 2 years old. I haven't really been stressed out, but I've been really aggravated a lot lately.. which can probably stress out my body. I just want it to come. I never thought I could want my period to come so bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• yes, big time. 8 years after giving birth, my periods are still irregular. I've just gotten used to it. Don't worry, there is nothing wrong with you.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Well my period didn't come back until a year after my son was born. Then it came back but came back every 3 months...and only recently (my son is 2 and a half) has it started to come back monthly but that has only been the past 2 months and I think my cycle is over 32 days now as opposed to 28 before pregnancy. It is super light too and I love it. I have completely changed my diet and lifestyle too so these can factor in plus I still breastfeed.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:57 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I read online that losing weight can change it and I have lost over 20 pounds since March... but I've still had my periods since March so I don't think that has anything to do with it. And I know I shouldn't worry because it doesn't help the situation but I am a very paranoid person and saying not to worry is a heck of a lot easier than actually doing it. I appreciate all of the responses though. You ladies are making me feel a little better about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• No was the opposite.. My whole life Ive been irregular, Ive went 6mo without having a period... I got pregnant, nursed her for 20mo & used depo shot for 1year.... On dd's 2nd bday I started my first period & its been regular for about 1.5 years now...

Also before getting pregnant I had the worse cramps ever (sometimes it was more painful than labor!).... Now I barely notice any cramping at all & can have a normal life during periods.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Mine has been super irregular. I'm currently over a month late....again, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2010