Do you believe those stories about School Bus Drivers leaving students behind inside the bus?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Okay I'm a school bus driver, and while I'm not going to stick up for drivers in general, I will tell you that in my district things like that do not happen. We live in a very large district with lots of rural areas. If a kid happens to miss a stop or get off at the wrong stop the bus stops in the middle of their route to go back and make it right. Same as if a child misses the bus in the morning, we always find a way to get them to school. As far as kids being left on the bus, we have things called "no child left behind" where when the bus is turned off you have to walk to the back of the bus to push a button or an alarm will go off. it is on all of the buses and it is so that you are forced to check your bus before getting off after every route. Our drivers go through extensive training, and continue classes all throughout their career. We know cpr and first aid, and we know how to handle most situations that arise
    Quentinsmamma

Answer by Quentinsmamma at 9:59 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• In some cases, YES! Because it happened to one of my neighbor's children! He fell asleep in the back, and the driver didn't notice. He woke up in the bus parking lot, and started crying. Another bus company worker heard him, and notified the parents, who had already called the police and were questioning the driver. The driver WAS fired.

And one of my nephews was dropped off at the wrong stop when he was in Kindergarten--that was some 20 years ago.

But yes, these things DO happen.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:43 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Actually, I do, for several reasons.

When my ds was in preschool, it was part of the school district. He was supposed to NOT get off the bus at the elem school, he was supposed to stay on the bus and go on to the other elem school (they had a full time speech therapist there and he needed speech.) Not only did they have him get off at the wrong school, but they didn't bother to tell me - once they figured out what school he was supposed to be at (it was a rural area, the other school was in the same district but different town) - they just had "some lady at the school" as my ds put it - put him in her car and drive him. I found all this out after the fact, talking to the school and to my ds and the teachers. I was NOT happy.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I'm a certified teacher. Yes, I believe them. All sorts of things go on on the school bus that parents would not like. The bus driver cannot safely drive AND monitor the children. Also, bus drivers are just that, drivers. They have absolutely no training to work with kids at all.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:54 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Oh I believe them! A few years ago my 5 yr old special needs child and his 7 yr old brother were put off at the wrong stop by a substitute driver. My kids told him it wasn't their stop and so did other kids on the bus. It didn't matter though, he put them off. They were more than a mile from home and thankfully my 7 yr old knew the way. Bless his heart, he was afraid to knock on someone's door...the "don't talk to strangers" thing really stuck with him. I was scared to death and had already called the police and their Dad because they were late and the bus barn wasn't able to get the driver to respond. I was livid, the police were livid and the driver was fired and had charges brought against him for child endangerment.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:54 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My ds is going to be a Sr next year, so this was yrs ago, we lived in WV then.

A friend of mine here, whose dd will be a Jr next yr, said she got a call at work one day from her dd (she gave her a cell phone for emergencies). She said that all the kids were on the bus, parked in front of the drivers house. He had gotten mad he just quit. He drove to his house and was done - left the kids sitting on the bus out front. They were stationed in Germany at the time, but it was a US DoD school.

My dd had her driver drop her off really late once. We were one of the last stops. When the bus pulled up, the driver was all gushing about how much a help my dd (it was the kindergarten bus) was, because she was the sub driver and didn't know the route, so my dd (5 yrs old!) was the one who told her where to turn, told her the route... (this was FL)

BUT, I fully admit there are THOUSANDS of good drivers - but there are some bad ones!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:56 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Why would someone NOT believe the stories?

Because we should expect the use of common sense from the drivers. Like checking the bus before signing off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• We have at least two children die a year because of it here. And who knows how many more that don't die.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Well, yes, why wouldn't you believe it? It happens and it is very sad, especially when it is fatal (heat stroke).
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

***
    Of course WE should expect it, but WE aren't everyone! If everyone used their God-given common sense, Obama would not be president, now would he? But I digress....
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:35 AM on Jun. 16, 2010