How does animal control work?

my husband and I found a german shepherd roaming around last night, he was friendly enough but kind of dirty and had no identification tags.
I looked on the humane society site and they recommend contacting animal control for strays. I'm just nervous about giving the dog to them- don't they put there animals down every week or so??? or is that just a myth?

Kalebs_mommy23

Asked by Kalebs_mommy23 at 8:40 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Pets

• I'm not sure, but I think they keep the dog for a few days (maybe a week??) to give time for someone to adopt him before they would put him down. Maybe you could tell them that if he doesn't find a home, you will come back and adopt him (if you want to anyway)?? If you're not wanting a dog, but are worried about him, you could try to find a German Shepherd rescue group or a no-kill shelter.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:05 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• You happen to live near Centerton, Arkansas? My BIL and SIL lost their beloved during a storm while they were out of town.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:12 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• And no, each shelter has its own time limit, and WILL put dogs down if they're there too long. Call the shelter and ask them if they have any reports of a missing shepherd, and tell them you found one and leave your number.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:13 AM on Jun. 16, 2010