What techniques worked for you to get your baby to sleep through?

and how old were they?

My daughters 4months and I nurse her to sleep, she'll usually wake up at least twice afterwards before she settles (I keep her in the room and rock her back to sleep). I have nursed her before I go to bed a few times, without really waking her, and thought it might mean she'll go without a feed a bit longer - but she was awake an hour later... What did you do to get your little one to sleep through the night?

Btw, I know she probably jus needs the feeds, but about a month and a half ago she slept from 11-8 three nights in a row, so I think she could do that again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I waited for them to get older. Seriously, my 11 month old still nurses during the night. Bring baby into bed with you so that you don't have to get up and her needing you during the night does not disrupt your sleep so much. I have always kept my babies in bed with me and let them nurse during the night. One of my kids started sleeping through the night at 6 months. The others were a lot older.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• At four months is still to early to expect her to sleep through the night, they need those feedings for a while longer. I use to do the rocking bit too, and although it is exhausting for you enjoy these moments for they will never come back again and they go away way too fast!

Answer by older at 8:59 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Young babies will tend to sleep a few long stretches during the part of the growth spurt where they outgrow their clothes overnight. This doesn't mean they are ready to sleep like this conisistently. Sleep patterns change often in the first year because of all the milestones, teething and growth spurts.

I do nothing to make my baby sleep. I work with her natural patterns (they wake to pee just like adults do and also get hungry far more often because their stomachs are small). There is nothing wrong with your baby's pattern and messing with it can backfire on you causing you far less sleep, not more.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• You know I just thought of something else...you can try bundling up baby with the blanket like a burrito, like they did at the hospital, sometimes this makes them feel secure, remember they were tight inside of you for a long time.

Answer by older at 10:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• The change in the sleep pattern is normal. It would be unusual for her to keep to the same pattern for long.

I did...well...nothing. Mine started sleeping on his own longer when I stopped messing with things and instead paid attention to when he was sleepy. I did NOTHING else. And if he woke sooner rather than later, it was fine. I kept things quiet and put him back down. Generally he's sleep a couple of hours, wake, go back to sleep. And he still does that to this day, at age eleven. But it's no big deal because I never made it a big deal. They know how much sleep they need! More parental sleep is lost by worrying about baby's sleep than would be if the parents would just follow the baby's cues. They KNOW what they need.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Babies sleep through the night (defined as six solid hours) when they are ready; usually not until well after they have a birthday.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2010