Does giving your baby some solids (before 6m) before bedtime really help them sleep through the night?

Do they not wake up for a feed?

My mum and sisters keep telling me this but then I read that it's not the case. My babies 4months. I don't plan on giving her solids until 6 months but I wonder if it actually does make them sleep longer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The easiest thing to do is to add solid food to their diet to help them get full, and go to sleep. This however, is a practice that may backfire on us.

A baby's digestive system is not developed to digest solids properly at four months old, and hence the reason it is not recommended. Just imagine yourself after a huge Thanksgiving meal, very full and sleepy, but uncomfortable for hours. This is what they experience.

That being said, always research the topic and get comfortable for yourself.

Hope this helps!
    RN-Mima

Answer by RN-Mima at 9:42 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• cDo what you feel comfortable with. I started cereal at 4 1/2 months and veggies and fruit at 6 months. In my experience it really did help them sleep when they started having cereal. Research it and decide if you want to wait or not.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:03 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• It helped my kids. I know they say it doesn't, but my kids did much better sleeping through the night once they were eating more solids. (Not right away, but when they actually ate a full meal). My firstborn was waking up all the time at night and we finally started feeding him until he refused food at dinner. He was 12 months and would eat 2 hotdogs, strawberries, 1/4 cup of potatoes, veggies, a cookie, and sometimes even more. But then he started sleeping all night. Poor kid was still hungry!!!! (And for those wondering, my son is skinny. He just has always been growing and is off the charts in his height)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:06 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I don't think a little cereal is gonna hurt the belly at all. No I would not give my child a bowl of beans lets say or mash potatoes with gravy on them at night but cereal why not. Do what you feel is best for your child...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My pediatrician says no. Also, think about it. If you eat and then immediately lay down, you get indigestion. So does your baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• LOTS of research has been done on this and it does NOT help them sleep longer at night. When people say it helped their kids it was probably a coincidence. "I don't think a little cereal is gonna hurt the belly at all" if their intestines are not mature enough it CAN hurt them. Check out the info at Will giving formula or solids at night help baby to sleep better?

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Solids made mine wake MORE.

They sleep longer on their own when they are ready to. Anything you do really only gives you the sense that you're doing something but not much else.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:45 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Actually, cereal this early can disrupt sleep patterns. Most babies don't sleep through the night (defined as six solid hours) until they are ready; usually well after they turn one.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2010